Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

More RAM, Now No Monitor Signal

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 TickyBox

TickyBox

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 AM

Posted 09 October 2010 - 06:54 PM

I received my additional 2 GB of RAM today, exact same brand/speed/etc, and after I plugged them into the motherboard my monitor showed no signal when I started it up. The video card is seated tightly, its fan along with every other one in my case powers up, hard drives fire fine, nothing sounds wrong at all. The only thing I did was disconnect everything so I could bring my tower to a reachable level since it's on the very top of my desk then put it back up there. I've tried removing the two new sticks of RAM, leaving the two that I've been using for the past 3 years, and I'm still getting the no signal error. Resetting the CMOS, trying the other DVI port, rearranging the configuration of them on the mobo, and doing the unplug the power cord and hold the power button for 30 seconds then plug it back in trick did nothing either. I can't test another monitor since I only have DVI ports on my video card (no onboard video) and the other ones in my house are VGA only and I don't have an adapter. Help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-M57 SLI-S4
RAM: G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel x2
Vid card: Nvidia GeForce 8600 GTS

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 AM

Posted 09 October 2010 - 07:54 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

I would suggest removing the add-on video card from the slot, blowing the slot out and returning the card back into the slot, making sure it is firmly inserted, level and making full contact across the entire expansion slot?

This is the first thing you should try, even if you have already did this, try doing it again and double check that it is level.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 TickyBox

TickyBox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2010 - 08:24 PM

Thanks for the response. I tried that in both of my PCE-e slots and still nothing. It has a plastic pin that needs to be engaged so I know it's seated fully.

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2010 - 09:24 PM

The only thing I did was disconnect everything so I could bring my tower to a reachable level since it's on the very top of my desk then put it back up there.

I need clarification on this quote above.

What did you disconnect? I am thinking you are referring to you disconnected all the external wires and cables that go to your computer for the mouse, keyboard, monitor, printer is this correct?

Thanks in advance.

Bruce.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 TickyBox

TickyBox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2010 - 09:28 PM

I need clarification on this quote above.

What did you disconnect? I am thinking you are referring to you disconnected all the external wires and cables that go to your computer for the mouse, keyboard, monitor, printer is this correct?

Thanks in advance.

Bruce.

You are correct. I touched none of the internal components as they were working fine before inserting the additional RAM.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,264 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 AM

Posted 09 October 2010 - 09:30 PM

Please use the following software to provide us with information about your computer so that we can assist you and post it here.

How to Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

I would go back and recheck all of those connections you disconnected.

Edited by dc3, 09 October 2010 - 09:31 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2010 - 09:43 PM

Please re-check your video cards VGA port, make sure it is not loose, this is the one the monitor connects to on the out side of the computer case.

It can happen that your VGA ports connection to the video card is loose and the port's soldered connection to the video card board has a faulty connection.

Check the plug on the cable from the monitor that connects to the video card for problems, such as bent pins, broken wires etc.

Bruce.

#8 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2010 - 09:44 PM

Please use the following software to provide us with information about your computer so that we can assist you and post it here.

How to Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

With no video display this is not possible at the moment dc3.

Bruce.

#9 TickyBox

TickyBox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2010 - 09:47 PM

I appreciate your help, and I'm not trying to sound like a smart ass, but that program does me no good if I can't see anything to boot into my computer. I'm posting this from another in the household. I'll offer what I can based off of invoices from when I ordered the components. I have also checked and rechecked the connections on everything both internally and externally. Everything is snug and seated as it should be.

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-M57 SLI-S4

RAM: G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel x2

Vid card: Nvidia GeForce 8600 GTS 256MB

Hard drives: HITACHI 0A38016 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive, Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive (Perpendicular Recording Technology)

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ Windsor 2.6GHz Socket AM2 89W Dual-Core

Power supply: FSP Group Blue Storm II 500W ATX 2.2 SLI Ready Active PFC Power Supply compatible with Core i7

Optical drive: NEC DVD Burner Black IDE Model ND-2510A

#10 TickyBox

TickyBox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2010 - 09:50 PM

Please re-check your video cards VGA port, make sure it is not loose, this is the one the monitor connects to on the out side of the computer case.

It can happen that your VGA ports connection to the video card is loose and the port's soldered connection to the video card board has a faulty connection.

Check the plug on the cable from the monitor that connects to the video card for problems, such as bent pins, broken wires etc.

Bruce.

Nothing is loose or bent. I even went so far as to remove my brother's video card from his computer and try it in mine with the same results.

#11 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2010 - 10:07 PM

We are not thinking you are a smart ass, I think dc3 did not realize you had no video display at all and he posted based on that misunderstanding, it happens to all of us, so no big deal.

Is there any way you can return the original RAM sticks into the slots just as they were before in the same exact slots?

I am looking at the possibility that putting things back as they were might return things to the way they were.

It may sound crazy suggesting this, but in the 37 years of repairing computers I have seen stranger things than this possibility.

If this fails to work, I am going to suggest that the motherboard may be shorting out somewhere, but I want you to at least try putting things back to the way they were before you added the new RAM sticks.

In my field, we call this theory "A Process of Elimination" Believe me it works.

Bruce.

#12 TickyBox

TickyBox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2010 - 10:14 PM

Is there any way you can return the original RAM sticks into the slots just as they were before in the same exact slots?

I am looking at the possibility that putting things back as they were might return things to the way they were.

It may sound crazy suggesting this, but in the 37 years of repairing computers I have seen stranger things than this possibility.

If this fails to work, I am going to suggest that the motherboard may be shorting out somewhere, but I want you to at least try putting things back to the way they were before you added the new RAM sticks.

In my field, we call this theory "A Process of Elimination" Believe me it works.

Bruce.

That was the first thing I tried. It gave me the same thing no matter if I had the original RAM in the original slots or moved them around to other ones. It did the same if I used just the new RAM too. I'm starting to think it's the motherboard as well. If it was just a video issue I would at least be able to hear the windows music upon boot but I'm not hearing that.

#13 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2010 - 10:31 PM

Well I am also helping another member who was where you are at now, he had no video, this thread is still active as I type this.

For reference I will point you to the thread.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic351361.html

We have finally got the computer to work, as you'll see in that Thread, now the culprit here in this thread above has finally been pin-pointed to the PSU being the culprit.

If you wish to, you can follow the procedures I used in that thread to trouble shoot your system.

Like I said, the number one technique in electronics repair is called "The Process of Elimination" This theory solves most trouble-shooting procedures successfully.

If you wish me to, I will assist you here in this thread, however, a lot of what I will suggest here, will be a repeat of what I suggested in the above referenced thread.

Bruce.

#14 TickyBox

TickyBox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2010 - 10:48 PM

Thanks, I'll try swapping in another PSU tomorrow to see if that's the culprit and post the results here. Whatever the cause turns out to be, I just hope the place I bought the RAM from will be able to replace it since the manufacturer's warranty has expired.

#15 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2010 - 11:10 PM

You're welcome for my time.

Let me know how the other PSU works out.

Like I told the other person of the thread I posted a link to, do not assume your motherboard is bad until we run out of other possibilities and that conclusion is the only one that makes sense.

Your computer worked Okay before hand and computers can survive short-outs more than you realize.

One time I was messing with a motherboard just for fun, trying to kill the poor thing, I shorted chips out and everything, yes the computer shut down or restarted, but a reset made the damned thing work again! :flowers:

I do not suggest you try this, but I had some old relics laying around and wanted to experiment with them.

The only time I destroyed a motherboard was experimenting with 120 volts AC and I sent that 120 Volts right into the motherboard!

Needless to say, somewhere around 24 electrolytic capacitors BLEW UP into pieces and one regulator shattered into bits.

It was fun to watch, but believe it or not, I repaired that motherboard and brought it back to life! :thumbsup: Like a mad scientist then threw the thing away afterwards. I did it to prove my skills and had plenty of parts on hand back then so it was no big deal.

Today's computers are not as expensive as they were back then, so it is no longer cost effective to do repairs like that any more.

Bruce

Edited by MrBruce1959, 09 October 2010 - 11:14 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users