Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows\system32\config\system

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 wadada

wadada

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 AM

Posted 09 October 2010 - 06:21 PM

Hi guys!
I use XP and lately I've had a problem with my computer freezing and not being able to restart properly.
The message says that the following file is missing or corrupt: windows\system32\config\system.
It also says that by clicking "r" it will start repair, but it didn't work for my computer. I've tried to turn it off, wait a while and turn it back on. That works sometimes, but most often, I need to turn it off AND unplug it, after which I turn it on and it can run windows properly. Sometimes, not always. It can also freeze at any time, when windows is up and running or when it's shutting down, whenever...
A friend of mine advised me to dl combofix, which I intend to do now... I'll let you know the results!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2010 - 06:39 PM

The error message you posted...is a common one, usually (if not always) relates to a registry problem.

Using ComboFix won't help you with such. ComboFix is a ptent malware tool and should be run only at the request of someone experienced with malware resolutions who is going to direct you how to overcome your malware problem.

In the event that you feel the need to post your ComboFix log...please post it at the appropriate BC forum (not this one), after reading guidance for posting such, Preparation Guide, Before Using Malware Removal Tools and Requesting Help - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic34773.html.

Upon following the procedures listed in the Preparation Guide, post your log at BC Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/forum22.html.

If you want to attempt to correct your registry problem...again, do not post any logs here...and take a look at Corrupted Registry, Config.sys Missing or Corrupt - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545..

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 09 October 2010 - 06:41 PM.

#3 wadada

wadada
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2010 - 07:36 PM

Ok, thx a lot. Will do that!

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2010 - 07:44 PM

Thank you for being courteous :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users