Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New SATA DVD Drive Not Recognized

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 JPCofer

JPCofer

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 PM

Posted 09 October 2010 - 02:42 PM

I've removed the CD, CD/RW, floppy and zip drives from a Dell 4500. Installed a new HP dvd1260i with SATA connections. Local computer shop didn't have SATA-PATA converter board (per HP tip) and sold me SATA to IDE Adapter that plugs into mobo. I'm getting power to DVD drive but it's not recognized. Originally had hard drive in primary IDE slot and DVD in secondary. Have tried switching but still no luck. What am I missing? Or is the converter board mandatory?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 AM

Posted 11 October 2010 - 08:41 AM

Can't you just buy the SATA cable, that would be a lot easier rather then getting a converter?

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 AM

Posted 11 October 2010 - 08:51 AM

Have you rechecked the connection of the SATA to IDE cable?

Does this drive show up in My Computer or the Device Manager?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 JPCofer

JPCofer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2010 - 11:15 AM

Yes, rechecked the connections -- everything seems to be firmly in place. But no, the drive does not show up in My Computer. The floppy drive showed up in Device Manager but I disabled it.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 AM

Posted 11 October 2010 - 11:41 AM

It looks like your motherboard doesn't support SATA. You will need a SATA to PCI controller card as HP suggested.

Take a look at this controller card.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 JPCofer

JPCofer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2010 - 11:53 AM

Thanks. The part that HP suggested/showed is a board that fits onto the back of the DVD drive. Then the SATA cables come out of that into the motherboard. In other words, not a card that plugs into the motherboard. Same thing? (Just wanted to make sure before I ordered it...)

#7 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 PM

Posted 11 October 2010 - 03:09 PM

Converters are always a "might work, might not" with dvd burners.

I would just use a pata/ide burner, there's a much higher chance of success.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....amp;PageSize=20
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#8 JPCofer

JPCofer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2010 - 04:56 PM

Good advice. Now if I can get refunds for the HP drive and the converter! Why are PC problems/issues never as easy to fix as you hope?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users