Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Acer eRecovery not working, plus a recyclebin problem.

• Please log in to reply
113 replies to this topic

#1 JacobHall

JacobHall

• Members
  • 300 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 PM

Posted 09 October 2010 - 02:08 PM

Hello there BleepingComputer,

I am here today, not with a malware problem(:thumbsup:! really?) but some software problems(so I beleive). A few months back I installed Windows 7, dual-boot on my XP. Now, without knowing it has obviously changed the Master Boot Record, which Acer eRecovery has some special coding on it to make the eRecovery actually work.

Now, everytime I go to do the eRecovery, its does the normal (prompt for restart, restart) and then it just boots back into XP, and not the recovery console. I am trying to restore the factory settings, and this is because I do not have a CD Drive with my laptop, therefore eRecovery is the only way for me to reformat.

So yes, any recommendations(contacted Acer, my warrantry is up.)

Now, another problem I'm having. I once sent a large file named "con" into the recycle bin, now thinking back it caused nothing but problems on both my website and my desktop. After I went to clear the recycling bin, it said that it didn't exist. But, the thing is... it clearly does because when I clear the recylebin, It says the error that the directory "con" could not be found, also when I open up the recycler in CMD there are clearly still entrys:

Posted Image

Does anyone have any recommendations?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2010 - 02:26 PM

Can you perform the eRecovery from within Windows? Some OEM's like Acer and Dell include this functionality via Windows under Start Menu.

#3 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 AM

Posted 09 October 2010 - 02:42 PM

See the Acer Master Boot Record (MBR)was damaged or replaced by non-Acer MBR. As long as partition PQSERVICE is present or that you can put the hand on the necessary Acer files you can reinstall the MBR of Acer

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 AM

Posted 09 October 2010 - 03:07 PM

I could be wrong...but the problem I see...is that the XP bootloader becomes subordinate to the Win 7 bootloader files when installed.

That means that the Acer is looking to find the installl that it placed on the system..alone...and is not set up to revise the Win 7 boot files.

I would remove the Win 7 install, if I wanted to revert back to the XP recovery function...although I can't say that will put the system back where it was, since the native installed boot files and recovery/restore files...may now be damaged.

Louis

#5 JacobHall

JacobHall
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 300 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2010 - 03:18 PM

Thanks to both, I forgot to add I manually removed Windows 7 a few months back, obviously damaging my MBR.

(I just deleted the partition, not good?)

#6 JacobHall

JacobHall
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 300 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2010 - 03:23 PM

See the Acer Master Boot Record (MBR)was damaged or replaced by non-Acer MBR. As long as partition PQSERVICE is present or that you can put the hand on the necessary Acer files you can reinstall the MBR of Acer

I would not do that unaided, sorry.

#7 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2010 - 09:05 PM

If you read that article slow and couple of times, it looks pretty straightforward.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#8 JacobHall

JacobHall
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 300 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2010 - 03:24 AM

Hello there,

followed the instructions, now in the PQSERVICE but having trouble locating.

mbrwrdos.exe, I can't find it but there is a similar file under the name of MBRwrWin.exe . rtmbr.bin has been located but I have no idea what to do with it. (When clicked, VLC player decides to try and play it.)

Thanks

Edited by Super Panda, 10 October 2010 - 03:28 AM.

#9 JacobHall

JacobHall
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 300 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2010 - 03:53 AM

i am livid, I am now forced to write this via my phone DUE TO the software the article told me to run decided to change my drive letter from C to X, thus making the BR invalid,

best bit about it, I DONT HAVE A CD DRIVE, great going bc

#10 JacobHall

JacobHall
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 300 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2010 - 03:54 AM

so what next.....

ON My USB Stick, I have a kaspersky rescue disk which may be able to help the situation, I have access to a heavily modified linux system(I think)

So yeah, I have a Memory stick capable of 1GB of data

I navigated to the Boot Record(I beleive)

; This boot.ini was automatically generated by NeoSmart Technologies' BootGrabber.exe

; Use EasyBCD from http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1 to manage your bootloader

[boot loader]

timeout=15

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Windows XP on C:\" /fastdetect

is the contents

Edited by Super Panda, 10 October 2010 - 04:37 AM.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 AM

Posted 10 October 2010 - 07:46 AM

<<i am livid, I am now forced to write this via my phone DUE TO the software the article told me to run decided to change my drive letter from C to X, thus making the BR invalid,

best bit about it, I DONT HAVE A CD DRIVE, great going bc>>

Just a reminder...your system was borked before you even posted a single message at this website. And your install of Win 7 on an Acer system with a nonstandard boot and a recovery/restore partition...probably contributed.

You asked for suggestions to alleviate this...and several members responded with suggestions/comments.

If you want to hold BC accountable for your situation...it appears to me that your perception may be incorrect.

FWIW: Posting comments such as the above...is guaranteed to make anyone wishing to assist...think very hard before responding, IMO.

Louis

#12 JacobHall

JacobHall
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 300 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2010 - 07:51 AM

Terribly sorry, just got to me. Anyway, I really need to get this back (and im beginning to wish I never installed windows 7, was nothing but trouble) as I have a conference at work tommorow.

I do not blame BC for the problem, it was me that run the program.

Okay, so as I have said I have popped in Kasperskys Recue CD(via usb) and its given me the ability to access the Windows XP files, i.e all of my documents and so fourth. I have also located boot.ini, changed it but it made no difference.

I have a feeling the drive letter is now X:, but I need to change the boot record to boot up X:.

Thanks for your time, and again sorry about my recent outburst

#13 JacobHall

JacobHall
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 300 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2010 - 11:25 AM

Please, if anyone could please help :thumbsup: It would be greatly appreciated

#14 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2010 - 11:38 AM

I suggest, you back up your data and go for clean Windows installation.
That would be the fastest and best solution.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#15 JacobHall

JacobHall
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 300 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2010 - 11:39 AM

I have not got a CD Drive, else I would do it straight away. :'(

I have an Acer Aspire One, which is why I was trying to make eRecovery work.

Thanks for the advice, if I could try and get the Acer eRecovery partition to boot, I could get it over and done with, I know the partition is in tact, just need to get it to boot.

Edited by Super Panda, 10 October 2010 - 11:42 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users