Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virus Warnings, Pop-ups, Redirects

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 windwhisperbomb

windwhisperbomb

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 PM

Posted 09 October 2010 - 01:10 PM

I'm using Firefox and I'll get a window that tells me I'm infected. I'll close the window but a bogus scan starts and tells me I have tons of viruses. I also get other random pop-ups and sometimes my pages will redirect to something else. I've done scans with AVG and Malwarebytes but they don't show anything. I also can't update either one.

Microsoft Windows XP
Professional
Version 2002
Service Pack 2

Fujitsu Computer Systems
Mobile IntelŪ
PentiumŪ 4 CPU 3.20GHz
1.86 GHz, 1.00 GB of RAM

Edited by hamluis, 09 October 2010 - 01:34 PM.
Moved from XP to Am I Infected forum ~ Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JacobHall

JacobHall

• Members
  • 300 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 PM

Posted 09 October 2010 - 02:26 PM

http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/grinler/rkill.exe

Should get rid of those pop-ups whilst you wait for some support, note this is not fixing anything, and is not a solution to the problem

#3 windwhisperbomb

windwhisperbomb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 PM

Posted 15 October 2010 - 09:56 PM

I ran rkill, but it stopped immediately. Under "Processes terminated by Rkill or while it was running", rkill is listed.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,054 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 PM

Posted 15 October 2010 - 10:04 PM

If you're having problems running RKill, it is available in various forms:rkill.com
rkill.scr
rkill.exe
Renamed versions if the above do not work:iExplore.exe
eXplorer.exe
uSeRiNiT.exe
WiNlOgOn.exe
If one of them does not work, then try downloading and running another copy.

-- You may have to make repeated attempts to use Rkill several times before it will run as some malware variants try to block it.

-- If you get an alert that Rkill is infected, ignore it. The alert is a fake warning given by the rogue software which attempts to terminate tools that try to remove it. If you see such a warning, leave the warning on the screen and then run Rkill again. By not closing the warning, this sometimes allows you to bypass the malware's attempt to protect itself so that Rkill can perform its routine.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users