Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Start Computer even in Safe Mode

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 prettyarrow

prettyarrow

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 PM

Posted 09 October 2010 - 12:08 PM

This morning when I turned on my HP laptop I got the blue screen. It ran through its thing than I got a message that I needed to increase my paging file. And gave instructions how to do this. Go to System in Control Panel Click Advance tab, go to Performance click setting, Advance tab click change, click custom size and then type maximum paging file size. When I clicked on custom size a new tab came up saying that a temporary file had been made. I couldn't find any place to type in maximum paging file size. There was a box that had c: 756 - 1512 in it. I was told I needed to reboot to save the changes. I rebooted the system and now I can't get into anything.

I have tried turning the computer off and waiting a while and turning it back on. It comes up with the Windows XP screen and then turns off and then on again. I have tried starting it in Safe Mode. I get the screen with the opions. I clicked on Safe Mode with networking and when I click on that another screen appears with start Windows XP in normal mode highligted and the start in Safe Mode with Networking is down at that bottom of the screen in blue. Anyone of the opions that I click on shows up at the bottom in blue. And if I click it to start in normal it does that same thing starts in Window XP for just a few seconds than turns off and on again. I can see a screen just before the computer turns off. There is something typed on there that it has detected something but I don't get a chance to read it before the computer turns off and turns it self back on again.

Can someone tell me if this is a virus or do I have a sick computer that needs professional help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 PM

Posted 09 October 2010 - 12:23 PM

What model HP laptop, please?

Did you consult the HP support webpage for your system...to see if they have any steps that they want you to take?

Do you have access to another system and the Internet?

Louis

#3 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2010 - 12:24 PM

Would you try Last Known Good Configuration

If your computer has a single operating system installed, press and hold the F8 key as your computer restarts. You need to press F8 before the Windows logo appears. If the Windows logo appears, you will need to try again by waiting until the Windows logon prompt appears, and then shutting down and restarting your computer.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307852
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#4 prettyarrow

prettyarrow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2010 - 12:38 PM

What model HP laptop, please?

Did you consult the HP support webpage for your system...to see if they have any steps that they want you to take?

Do you have access to another system and the Internet?

Louis

The model is Pavilion dv4000 I have not consulted anyone yet. I can use my husbands desktop to access the internet.

#5 prettyarrow

prettyarrow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2010 - 12:43 PM

Would you try Last Known Good Configuration

If your computer has a single operating system installed, press and hold the F8 key as your computer restarts. You need to press F8 before the Windows logo appears. If the Windows logo appears, you will need to try again by waiting until the Windows logon prompt appears, and then shutting down and restarting your computer.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307852

I can get into the safe mode screen but when I select any of the options it appears at the bottom of the screen in blue and will not let me start the computer in anything but regular mode. I have tried all the options listed including Last Known Good Configuration.

#6 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2010 - 01:21 PM

I have seen a few cases where the hard drive ran out of free space and caused similar problems?
Chewy

#7 prettyarrow

prettyarrow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2010 - 01:30 PM

I have seen a few cases where the hard drive ran out of free space and caused similar problems?

Would a lack of space cause my Safe Mode to stop working?

#8 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2010 - 01:49 PM

Had you received any low disk space warnings?

Were there any prior signs of an infection/malware?
Chewy

#9 prettyarrow

prettyarrow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2010 - 03:02 PM

Had you received any low disk space warnings?

Were there any prior signs of an infection/malware?

Had warnings of low virual memory

#10 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2010 - 03:23 PM

Had you run a disk cleanup and defrag recently?
Chewy

#11 prettyarrow

prettyarrow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2010 - 03:27 PM

Had you run a disk cleanup and defrag recently?

Nope

#12 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2010 - 01:46 PM

Do you have the restore disk?
Chewy

#13 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,260 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2010 - 05:00 PM

(pardon the redundant questions and butting in)

What is your system make and model?

What is your XP Version and Service Pack?

Describe your current antivirus and anti malware situation: McAfee, Norton, Spybot, AVG, Avira!, MSE, Defender, ZoneAlarm, PC Tools, Comodo, etc.

Does the afflicted system have a working CD/DVD drive?

Do you have a genuine bootable XP installation CD (this is not the same as any Recovery CDs that came with your system)?

Fill in the blank:

My system was working fine until _________________________________________.

If there is a problem booting, XP is configured to automatically try to boot again and you can get stuck in a loop of just being unable to get past the boot options screen.

Sometimes when XP has a problem starting or crashes and tries to start again, it will give you a "short" menu of boot options and none of them will seem to be the right ones to get your system going again. You've tried them all!

The options resemble the XP Advanced Boot Options menu, but the one option you need (Disable automatic restart on system failure) is not offered because XP has gone too far along in the boot process.

If that is the case, you must invoke the Advanced Boot Options menu yourself until you do see the option:

Disable automatic restart on system failure

When you do get to the correct XP Advanced Options Boot menu you want to see, it has options on it like these:

Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Command Prompt

Enable Boot Logging
Enable VGA mode
Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked)
Directory Services Restore Mode (Windows domain controllers only)
Debugging Mode

Start Windows Normally
Reboot
Return to OS Choices Menu

What you need to choose from that menu is the option:

Then if XP fails to boot normally, you will see an error screen with information and clues regarding the problem and then you can decide what to do next.

If you do not see the Disable automatic restart on system failure option, you need to reset your system and start tapping the F8 key on the keyboard until you do see the Disable automatic restart on system failure option.

If you miss the F8 window of opportunity, you need to try again and start tapping the F8 key with more urgency (sooner and more frequently) until you do see Disable automatic restart on system failure, then choose it.

You need to keep trying the F8 menu until you do see Disable automatic restart on system failure option, and select it.

Respond to the queries and report back the results from the Disable automatic restart on system failure screen and you can decide what to do next.

Edited by joseibarra, 10 October 2010 - 05:30 PM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#14 Gabrial

Gabrial

• Members
  • 468 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 PM

Posted 11 October 2010 - 12:26 AM

You could delete the c:\pagefile.sys and c:\hiberfil.sys and see if that frees enough space to boot into safe mode where you can manipulate your other files.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users