Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft Registry Checker

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Cinoreah

Cinoreah

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 AM

Posted 16 November 2005 - 01:33 PM

Yesterday when I rebooted I got the Microsoft registry checker window saying it was checking my registry and proceeded on to rebuilding same. I was a little surprised at it doing this, and this morning on turning on my computer it went through the same process again. I then rebooted and it did it again. I use 98SE.

It has done this before when I opted to compact my registry when running Registry Mechanic; however, it has never run it every time I reboot until now. Got rid of Registry just now and it still went through the rebuild registry bit.

What the heck is going on here?

Thanks

Cin
~ The Road To A Friend's House Is Never Long ~

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 PM

Posted 16 November 2005 - 09:05 PM

Windows 98 has a program called Scanregw.exe that runs everytime you boot your computer. The function of this program is to inspect the registry when you boot and if it finds an error it attempts to fix it. So it seems to be consistently finding errors when you boot.

There can be a number of reasons for this. It may have something to do with Registry Mechanic. I've also seen this happen when the Ram is failing. In that case there was nothing wrong with the registry but the failing Ram made it seem that way to Scanregw.exe.

I suggest you try to fix the registry and maybe this constant running of the registry checker will go away. Boot your computer as is you are going into Safe Mode. When the computer stops at the menu, use the arrow keys to select "Command Prompt Only" and press enter. When you get to C:\> type in the following exactly as written including the space:

scanreg /fix

This might ( :thumbsup: ) fix the registry and stop this behaviour.

If not, go back to "Command Prompt Only" and type in the following:

scanreg /opt

This will optimize the registry, compacting it and removing dead keys. This is similar to what Registry Mechanic does but being a Windows program its much better to use.

Post back and let us know how you make out.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 Cinoreah

Cinoreah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 AM

Posted 17 November 2005 - 12:04 AM

Thanks leurgy....I went back to RM and reset the optimization option and problem solved. Thanks so much for your input. You guys are awesome and I send people here frequently.

:thumbsup:

Cin
~ The Road To A Friend's House Is Never Long ~

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 PM

Posted 17 November 2005 - 12:38 PM

Glad I was able to point you in the right direction Cinoreah. Thanks for posting back and letting us know it worked out for you. :thumbsup:

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users