Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Xp Installation

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 KevinH

KevinH

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 AM

Posted 16 November 2005 - 01:17 PM

I had adware on my hard drive, so i decided to install a fresh copy of XP.
I use a wireless Logitech mouse and keyboard, which needed a driver installation prior to use.
After I installed windows XP the mouse and keyboard continued to work without using the cd to put back the software. There is no Logitech software on the computer for the keyboard and mouse though.
I know i did a complete new install.. I just wanted to know if anyone knew how that was possible.. I didn't quite understand it. If anyone can help as well, is there a thread on this forum that lists settings to use for a more secure computer/web browsing? I have come across a few [disabling certain java scrips] anything that could help me with the settings of the new XP.... i hope that all made sense.. :thumbsup: thanks for any help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 AM

Posted 16 November 2005 - 01:30 PM

One of the reasons XP is so huge is because it has most of the need drives for the most common devices. With the ps/2 and usb devices the interface has become standardize. These are fairly simple devices. If you have software and want to use it that should not be problem as long as it was written for XP.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2005 - 01:36 PM

We have a tutorial that will help you to keep your computer more secure:
Simple and easy ways to keep your computer safe and secure on the Internet
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 KevinH

KevinH
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2005 - 02:22 PM

Thank you very much for your help
This site and everyone who is on the forums are very friendly and informing!
when i get home from work i will be continuing to tweak xp back to the way i had it, or better hopefully!

thanks again for the replys, have a great day

-kev
:thumbsup:

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2005 - 04:03 PM

You're quite welcome, KevinH.
Glad to be of help.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2005 - 06:52 PM

If you have more question please feel free to ask.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2005 - 10:49 AM

If you're going to continue to tweak XP to your liking, I'd suggest that you get some disk imaging software and a spare hard drive to store the images on.

Then, you make an image of the disk when you get things where you like them. If your system crashes - then you can restore the image and be back up and running within 20 minutes.

I learned this the hard way - after countless reinstalls and resetting of all my settings.

Good Luck!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 donzo44

donzo44

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 AM

Posted 17 November 2005 - 11:24 AM

Hi

http://www.tweakhound.com/ is an excellent resource.

As previously pointed out, take precautions before you mess with any settings. Take at least a restore point. Better still do a full image backup to another disc(preferably external). NEVER store an image backup, or any other backup for that matter, on the same PHYSICAL disk as the data you are backing up.

Regards
Dual Opteron 250's, 1.6TB, youngest son still at home, large electricity bill

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users