Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unknown Update Request

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 2-Cups

2-Cups

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 AM

Posted 09 October 2010 - 09:04 AM

Hello BC

I keep getting this annoying pop-up to install this program, everytime I turn on the computer. It has been doing this since it was brand new (not all that long ago). It appears when I click on my Internet Explorer to start it up (the gold warining shield at the bottom left of the task bar) will flash, and it always has the same information:

"Do you want to download and install the following program" (or something like that)

Jucheck.exe

Publisher: Unknown

When I close it (either clicking the NO or clicking the X, a pop-up will then come up on the bottom right of the task bar to download a Java Update, but it will fade away within a few seconds (I usually click the X on it as well.

I keep Trend Micro running on here, and update it every week. I scan the PC all the time (quick scan every day, and a full system scan twice a week, but nothing other than a few cookies are ever found.

The Geek Squad cleaned it up once for me ($100), but this was going on before they worked on it, and still continues to this day (the Jucheck.exe), so going back to them would be useless in my opinion.

Is there any program/s out there that can be trusted to actually find out what's going on with this computer. It's not that old, and for what it is (Dell 1764) it dosent seem to operate as fast to me as it should with the i 5 Intel Core.

Thank You
2-Cups

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 09 October 2010 - 09:21 AM

Here's some info for you

http://www.file.net/process/jucheck.exe.html

http://www.processlibrary.com/directory/files/jucheck/ (don't run any scans listed here, I'm including the page for info purposes only)

http://www.auditmypc.com/process/jucheck.asp

#3 Darth sidious

Darth sidious

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 AM

Posted 09 October 2010 - 12:50 PM

Java runtime environment updatechecker.
HP Compaq 6715b Notebook--AMD Turionx2 2.2Ghz 64 Mobile TL-64--4GB DDR2 667Mhz--Compaq 6715b--fujitsu siemens 500GB sataII Internal, Toshiba 1TB EXT HD Backup--IGP ATI Radeon x1250 128MB--Broadcom a\b\g Wlan adapter built in, Sonicwall TZ100, Dlink DSL 2740b--Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit and linux ubuntu dual boot--Firefox 4.0 &IE8--Eset Firewall--Nod32 antivirus & Spyware Doctor--Malwarebytes anti malware.

#4 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 AM

Posted 09 October 2010 - 02:45 PM

Yeah, it's just a Java update.

I recommend you download the offline installer, and run the update that way.
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#5 2-Cups

2-Cups
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2010 - 09:36 AM

This seems to be a really aggravating update program to me. Is it needed to keep the programs running smoothly, or is there a way to eleminate the updater if it's not needed. If I click on "YES" will it download the needed update, and then quit, or will it continue to show up unwanted!

If it's not harmful to my PC, i'm not concerned with it being in the system, but I sure would like to keep it off to the side somewhere, and update only when it's needed, and not be bothered with that annoying POP-UP everytime the PC is turned on.

I'm not sure what Java is or does for your computer, but I do think they should have named it Mother-in-law.

Thanks again,
2-Cups

#6 Darth sidious

Darth sidious

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2010 - 09:53 AM

Java is used in webpages by a some websites if you have no java any sites using it will not display properly or at all soyou need to keep it updated at the moment although sites are moving away from java it is still used quite widely.
HP Compaq 6715b Notebook--AMD Turionx2 2.2Ghz 64 Mobile TL-64--4GB DDR2 667Mhz--Compaq 6715b--fujitsu siemens 500GB sataII Internal, Toshiba 1TB EXT HD Backup--IGP ATI Radeon x1250 128MB--Broadcom a\b\g Wlan adapter built in, Sonicwall TZ100, Dlink DSL 2740b--Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit and linux ubuntu dual boot--Firefox 4.0 &IE8--Eset Firewall--Nod32 antivirus & Spyware Doctor--Malwarebytes anti malware.

#7 2-Cups

2-Cups
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2010 - 10:02 AM

Ok Thanks :huh:

Being it's not harmful, i'll go ahead and download the update next time, and hope it settles the problem.

Thanks again, and have a great day,
2-Cups :huh:

#8 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2010 - 10:14 AM

You can force the update now if you wish.

Open up Control Panel > Java > Update tab > Update Now button towards the bottom of the window.

#9 Darth sidious

Darth sidious

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2010 - 10:36 AM

Ok Thanks :thumbup2:

Being it's not harmful, i'll go ahead and download the update next time, and hope it settles the problem.

Thanks again, and have a great day,
2-Cups :huh:

No worries :huh:

#10 MidwestTech

MidwestTech

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2010 - 10:40 AM

I would like to add that Java, while necessary for some websites, is also a potential attack vector for malware. So for the sake of keeping your PC 'clean', I would recommend you always allow that update to run when prompted. The same goes for Adobe Flash and Reader products.

#11 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 10 October 2010 - 11:04 AM

If you haven't updated by now, look in your program files. What version of Java is listed?

The latest version is Java Version 6 Update 21.

#12 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2010 - 11:31 AM

Yes it is kind of the Mother-in-law, but this one can be turned off. Windows, Java, and Adobe updates are normally security updates. I highly recommend installing them. I use a little program, (Secunia PSI) on demand to check for needed updates for several programs. Works great for me. You can get the needed updates using this program.

#13 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 AM

Posted 10 October 2010 - 11:33 AM

Yeah, Java is necessary for a lot of websites (and even programs on your computer!), and as mentioned, is a security risk if not kept up to date (as is the same with any software).

Like I said before, the easiest way to update Java (in my opinion) is to use the offline installer, but you can also update through the tray icon, or through Java in the Control Panel (you get the same result regardless).

But yeah, once you get it updated, it should quit bugging you about updates....until the next update comes around (which could be soon). I recommend you leave the updater running in the background as it normally would so you will know when the next update comes out.
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users