Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Water in PSU

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 aigars300

aigars300

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 AM

Posted 09 October 2010 - 08:22 AM

Hi guys.

I have a setup that the PSU is located on the computer case, instead of inside (and 1 side of the case is open so the wires get in).
Accidentally spilled a little bit of water on the table and apparently some of it splashed into the PSU (and there's a little possibility that some got in the case as well). What happens, computer instanteously turns itself off, leaving only the external HDD on. I look at other appliances to see if this is not electrical failure to find that it's not (silly me, the external HDD was working...), so I figure it must've been the water. I turn off the HDD. (This often somehow makes the discharge power on the whole computer for no known reason and so it did also this time). Computer starts powering up, I hear the loud GPU ventilator, but then it quickly settles down. I think I might've heard a chizzling sound, but that could've been my mind as well. Okay, so I press the power switch on the PSU and shut it down. Then unplug the power cord from the PSU as well.

So the question is, what should I do now? Of course, I want to do no harm to the internals of my PC, so I guess blind powering on is not the best option. Drying? Disassembling? Unplugging cords for PSU? Thorough internal examination? Give me something to go for.

Regards, Aigars

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 AM

Posted 09 October 2010 - 08:29 AM

don't know how long ago it happened but if its not dried out yet you should not be turning it on until you have dried it out ,you can use compressed air ,to blow away the water ,a can of electrical contact cleaned might help also, you may have to take the cover off the psu to get at the water,make sure to unplug it and hold the power button in to drain the power ,but i caution that you need to be very careful when inside a psu ,as it dose have the ability to hold power and can be dangerous ,but you need to let it dry for at least a few days before ever tuning it on .

Edited by caperjac, 09 October 2010 - 08:35 AM.

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#3 aigars300

aigars300
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2010 - 08:33 AM

Happened just now, like 15 minutes ago. As for the drying, well, don't really know a way how to see if it's dried out or not, it's not like I see a wet spot anywhere at the moment. So should I just wait it out for a few days or should I get some compressed air and muzzle it through the whole thing?
How about disconnecting the wires from the components - any point doing that?

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 PM

Posted 09 October 2010 - 08:45 AM

let it sit for at least 24 hours or more, 48 to be safe, before trying to turn it back on would be my suggestion.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 PM

Posted 09 October 2010 - 10:25 AM

The large capacitors inside the PSU hold very high amounts of voltage which makes opening the case and poking around inside very dangerous. If you are shocked by this voltage it could even be fatal.

I would suggest following the_patriot09's suggestion to allow it to dry for a couple of days.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 aigars300

aigars300
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2010 - 03:02 AM

Thanks for all the replies, guys.
Let it dry throughout the night and fanned it with stream of air, everything seems fine now.

Cheers, Aigars

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 PM

Posted 10 October 2010 - 05:50 AM

Thanks for letting us know. :thumbsup:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 PM

Posted 10 October 2010 - 02:12 PM

Glad everythings fine :thumbsup:

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users