Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Data Error: Cyclic Redundancy Check

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 polaris6

polaris6

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 PM

Posted 16 November 2005 - 12:21 PM

I am getting a CRC Data Error when I try to copy something I burned on a CD (navigational charts 1-2 MB each is the largest). I have tried to reburn the CD and I still get the error, but it occurs at a different file location the second (3rd and 4th also) time.

I am using XP Pro, have 512 MB RAM, 2 GHz processor.

Are there any simple fixes to this problem?

Thanks.

george

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 PM

Posted 16 November 2005 - 01:01 PM

See if any of this helps:
What does 'cyclic redundancy check error' mean?
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 AM

Posted 16 November 2005 - 06:36 PM

The CRC error may be caused by a number of things:
  • Faulty burner - buy a lens cleaning CD or replace the burner
  • Faulty file transfer process - better check the RAM with Memtest86.
    Use it to create a bootable floppy disk. When you reboot with that floppy in the drive it will automatically run a memory test. Let it run at least overnight, unless errors come up right away, and then examine the error count.
  • Faulty hard drive - run Scandisk.
    • Clean your internet cache and temporary files:
      Click Start and Run then type in cleanmgr this will start the windows disk cleanup tool.
      Tick the boxes beside Temporary internet Files, Recycle Bin and Temporary Files then click OK
    • Schedule an Error Check (Scandisk).
      How to find scandisk: Start>My Computer. Right click the C: drive then Properties>Tools tab, click on Check Now. In the window that opens tick 'Automatically fix file system errors' and 'Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors'. When you click 'Start' Windows will say the error checker cannot run now and do you want it to run at the next boot? Click 'yes' and then reboot.
    • When that's finished reboot in Safe Mode and do a defrag.
      If you are not sure how to boot in Safe Mode there is a tutorial here: Safe Mode
      Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Defragmenter
      They will take some time but at least you will know your hard drive is working correctly and tidied up.
    • Check how much free space you have on your hard drive.
      Start>My Computer click once on your C: drive and look in the Details box on the left.
  • Reboot normally and see if there's any improvement.
hth :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users