Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

problems with adapter and router?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Tona

Tona

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 PM

Posted 08 October 2010 - 09:34 PM

I just got a second desktop computer for my kids and bought a netgear wireless adapter to hook up to it. I have a Belkin router. when i installed the adapter it recognized my router and i connected to it...everything says it is connected and has an excellent signal. but when i open internet explorer it says you are not currently connected to the internet do you wish to work offline...i have called netgear and they tell me the problem is with my router, i called belkin and they had me change a few settings then when it still wouldnt work told me my problem was with my netgear adapter...I am going insane trying to figure out what is wrong...I am sure it is some little setting or something that would be easy for anyone else but I am not the best at this networking stuff...lol...If anyone could please help me or give me any advice i would appreciate it greatly!!
Thanx in advance, Tonya :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 PM

Posted 10 October 2010 - 10:44 PM

On the wireless computer, perform the following steps:

1. Click Start
2. Click Run (if windows XP, if Vista or Win 7 the run is the search bar at the bottom)
3. Type CMD and hit Enter Key
4. In the new window, type IPCONFIG
5. Look at the "Default Gateway", should be an address like: 192.168.1.1
6. type "ping <Default Gateway>" (without quotes and insert your Default gateway address)
7. If you recieve replies (4 of them) then you know your computer is communicating with the router. If not, you need to look into your wireless security/router settings to see why its not communicating.
8. If you do recieve replies, type "ping google.com" and see if you get replies. If so, your computer knows it has internet.
9. Make sure your Internet Explorer isnt trying to use a proxy server. (Open internet explorer, click on TOOLS, and INTERNET OPTIONS. Then go to the Connection Tab and click the LAN SETTINGS button at the bottom. Make sure all options in the new popup box are UNCHECKED. Try going to google.com)

If you still have issues, you might want to reset your Winsock catalog by opening that CMD window and type "netsh reset winsock", then reboot your computer. Let us know what you find out.

Gavin Seabrook

#3 Tona

Tona
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2011 - 09:08 PM

thank you so very much for such a quick reply...i am never disappointed by this site:) i have tried all except for resetting winsock catalog. that is my next move bc so far still acquiring network address...It is showing all zeros on the ip address of that pc...?

#4 Tona

Tona
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2011 - 09:54 PM

I tried the last thing and it tells me that the command was not found..I forgot to mention that the pc that is connected to the router is running vista...the one with the netgear adapter on it that i cannot currently connect with is running xp.

#5 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2011 - 10:11 PM

Which did you do that returned the "command not found" reply?

#6 Tona

Tona
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2011 - 10:15 PM

Netsh reset winsock

#7 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2011 - 10:27 PM

I`m not quit sure which machine you are running the command on. If it is the Vista machine then the command is a bit different.

MS instructions > How to reset Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)

Edited by ThunderZ, 23 January 2011 - 10:27 PM.

#8 Tona

Tona
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2011 - 10:41 PM

yes it is vista and i am still supposed to be doing all of this on the machine that is connected to the router right?

#9 Tona

Tona
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2011 - 10:45 PM

I am sorry as I know NOTHING about networking...lol...but I can access the interet just fine on my vista machine which has a router, and on my laptop through that router...It is the XP machine that has the Netgear adapter on it that it is not getting an IP address on it seems...it will show the adapter connected and shows an excellent signal but constantly says acquiring network address...

#10 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2011 - 10:45 PM

Your problem is with the desk top with the wireless adapter(?). If so then what is the OS on it?

EDIT: Ok. We are dealing with XP. All the suggestions given by Gavinseabrook should be done on the XP machine with the wireless connection problem.

Edited by ThunderZ, 23 January 2011 - 10:47 PM.

#11 Tona

Tona
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2011 - 10:51 PM

lol ok well i was wondering so i will go and try that...told u i know nothing...but thought that made more sense...thank u for your help i will let you know how that goes...:)

#12 Tona

Tona
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2011 - 11:02 PM

Ok well obviouslly there are issues...lol...here is what I got at the IP config...

Ethernet adapter wireless network connection 3:

Connection specific DNS suffix: (blank)
Autoconfiguration IP Address: 169.254.1.11
Subnet Mask: 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway: (blank)

#13 Tona

Tona
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2011 - 11:41 PM

the xp machine is giving me the same message...command not found...So I am not sure what it is I am supposed to be doing next...

#14 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2011 - 07:16 AM

Is this a new PC or second hand? Since it is running XP I am guessing it is used.

There are can be a multitude or reasons you are experiencing the problem. Infection, damage from an infection removal, among others.

What service pack is installed? Go to Control Panel > System > General tab. Look for Service Pack x x will be either 1,2 or 3.

If it is at least 2 then try netsh winsock reset catalog at the cmd prompt. Restart the PC. Let us know what happens.

#15 Tona

Tona
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2011 - 07:29 AM

First let me let you know that I played with it last night, I auto entered ip address and everything. Now It shows it is connected on both ends now not just adapter like before...But When I went to open an internet page, I still get the Internet Explorer cannot display webpage error message...

And Yes the computer is used, my aunt had given it to me for my kids to use and worked fine at her house, and worked for awhile here with the netgear adapter.

Service pack used is 3

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users