Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trojan.Agent/Gen-MSFake

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 fgeelo

fgeelo

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 PM

Posted 08 October 2010 - 08:29 PM

I did a scan with Super Anti Spyware today and it came up with this item: Trojan.Agent/Gen-MSFake.Process. The file itself is called: "C:\WINDOWS\MICROSOFT.NET\FRAMEWORK\V.1.14322\NETFXUPDATE.EXE" Before I did this scan, when I booted up my computer last night, I did have some strange activity such as my minimised taskbar icons dissapearing and some programs not working, but this was fixed after a Log out and Shut down of my PC so I've no clue if it's related. I am unsure if this is a false positive or not. I keep a very clean computer and out of all the virus scans I regularly do , this is the first time I've seen this. I am using Windows 7 64-Bit and the latest version of SAS. No other virus/malware scanner is detecting this as a threat. Thanks for your help.

Edited by fgeelo, 09 October 2010 - 05:41 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 PM

Posted 09 October 2010 - 05:52 AM

Hi

Please visit the online Jotti Virus Scanner Posted Image<--link
  • Copy and paste the following filepath in the box:

C:\WINDOWS\MICROSOFT.NET\FRAMEWORK\V.1.14322\NETFXUPDATE.EXE

• Click on the Posted Image button.
    The scanner will check the file with various AV companies.
  • Copy and paste the results box into a reply to this thread.

Edited by DaChew, 09 October 2010 - 05:53 AM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 fgeelo

fgeelo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2010 - 07:58 AM

Thanks so much for your reply.

The results can be seen in this image here: http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/5204/jotc.jpg

Not quite sure what it means by "This file has been scanned before." Is it showing me results that other people have gotten? If so, couldn't this be a problem if, say the program I have is imitating the same name but is really a different file to what has been scanned before?

I'll take a guess and say that it's a false positive. That being said, is it normal for this kind of thing to happen straight after updating to a new version of SAS? I had just scanned the other day with no problems, and today I updated it and it found that file.

If you have any other comments, suggestions, I am open to anything. Thankyou again for your help. I would be absolutely lost without the help of you guys. :thumbsup:

Edited by fgeelo, 09 October 2010 - 08:06 AM.

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2010 - 09:22 AM

That usually means the file has been detected by a lot of others recently and is a false positive, SAS's new def's have a mistake, you seem to be right on top of it.

Jotti takes a good look at/does an analysis of the file, not just the name.
Chewy

#5 fgeelo

fgeelo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2010 - 08:05 PM

Cool, thanks. Is it safe to remove the file, anyway? It seems like there's a bunch of versions of .NET just sitting there, and this one seems like one of the older ones.

Thanks for your help.

#6 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2010 - 08:15 PM

I wouldn't remove it, net versions are cumulative, newer ones do not replace older ones

Some older apps might need it?
Chewy

#7 fgeelo

fgeelo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2010 - 08:50 PM

If I was to remove it - just to be safe, I'm sure nothing would break? And if so, I'd imagine it would rectify itself? Or should I *really* not tamper with it?

Thanks for your help

#8 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2010 - 09:27 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.NET_Framework

I would leave it alone myself
Chewy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users