Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Repairing the OS/Booting

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 RedFirePhoenix

RedFirePhoenix

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 AM

Posted 08 October 2010 - 08:21 PM

OK, I've found this several times on the internet, but no clear and thorough answer. I'm getting desperate. Here's the situation. I was on the internet, and all of a sudden it froze and wouldn't do anything, including bringing up the task manager when I tried to shut down the browser. I had no other option but to do a hard shutdown. When I tried to restart, I got the typical Windows did not shut down properly message, and chose to start windows normally. However, it went to a black screen and never did anything.

I hard booted again, and got a screen stating the computer did not start properly, and I could either run Startup Repair or start Windows normally. Startup Repair eventually took me to the unmountable boot volume error, while tryiing to start normally did nothing. I booted from my Vista disk and went into recovery to repair the system. However, under select an operating system to repair and click next, there is nothing listed. If I just click on the next button, I get the options as normal to run Startup Repair, System Restore, Complete PC Restore, Memory Diagnostic Tool, and Command Prompt.

So. Why is there no operating system to select under the select box? And if I do skip this and click next, which option should I be choosing on the Choose a recovery tool menu? These are the questions that aren't seeming to be clearly answered on other sites. From what I've gathered from researching, damage was done to a boot file when I did the hard shutdown. Please help, I have numerous important files on this computer and would like to attempt any repair options before reinstalling the OS. Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 AM

Posted 09 October 2010 - 12:51 AM

"unmountable boot volume error" often means hard drive issue.

Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287 (or http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...ive+diagnostic)
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.
For Toshiba hard drives, see here: http://sdd.toshiba.com/main.aspx?Path=Serv...ties#diagnostic

Note : If you do not know how to set your computer to boot from CD follow the steps here

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 RedFirePhoenix

RedFirePhoenix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2010 - 02:18 PM

I have a new problem. When I run the command del C:\boot\bcd, I get the message "The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error".

Please tell me there is someone on who can help, I'm freaking out here.

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,614 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2010 - 02:24 PM

Did you read and executed my last reply?

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 AM

Posted 09 October 2010 - 02:24 PM

It seems to me that your hard drive is failing, and please follow Broni's advice.

#6 RedFirePhoenix

RedFirePhoenix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2010 - 06:12 PM

I'm having a really hard time understanding how to create the bootable disk using ImgBurn. If I write the image file to the disk, will it automatically be bootable? I have the ISO for the Seagate hard drive saved on my desktop. I tried reading through the guides on the ImgBurn website but they're really not helping me.

#7 RedFirePhoenix

RedFirePhoenix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2010 - 06:53 PM

Never mind, figured it out. I'm running the Long Test now. Will post results when completed.

#8 RedFirePhoenix

RedFirePhoenix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2010 - 07:07 PM

OK, here's where we stand. Forgive me, I have to type this out as I'm on a different computer (obviously). It did say I had a bad sector found. Here's the log.

Device 0 is Seagate Device ST9200420AS 5SH0HB9C On Intel ICH9M
Max Native Address 390721967
Device is 48 Bit Addressed - Number of LBAs 390721967 ( 200.050 GB )
This drive supports Security Features
SMART Is Supported And ENABLED
SMART Has NOT Been Tripped
DST Is Supported
Logging Feature Set Is NOT Supported
POH 5405 Current Temp 26

Started Long Test 10/9/2010 @ 19:52.52
Your SeaTools Test Code: 98ACCA51
DST Completed Without Error
Short DST PASSED 10/9/2010 @ 19:59.0
[ 21041960 -- Repaired ] [21041961 -- Repaired ]
(This continues through 21042059, all stating repaired)
DST Completed Without Error
Short DST PASSED 10/9/2010 @ 20:00.36
Long Test PASSED After Repair 10/9/2010 @ 20:00.36

Not really sure what this all means.

#9 RedFirePhoenix

RedFirePhoenix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2010 - 07:27 PM

Yeah, I think the hard drive is officially in techno heaven now. When I tried starting after doing the diagnostics it took forever and finally got to an error screen about referenced memory and another I/O error. Hopefully I can get some pro help on extracting old files, but if not, que sera. I appreciate the help.

Just out of curiousity how long do hard drives usually last? It seems like the one on this laptop lasted longer but I can't remember for sure. I'm just wondering, I think I had the computer from some point in 2008.

#10 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,614 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2010 - 09:54 PM

There is absolutely no rule on hard drive lifespan.
I've seen bad drives straight out of the box.
My Compaq desktop drive dies after 6 weeks.
I still have Toshiba Win 98 machine (ca 1998, heavily used for first few years, less frequently after that), still alive and kicking.

I'm not sure, what's going on here.
The drive passed both test (short and long).

Why is there no operating system to select under the select box?

It looks like Windows installation got corrupted and recovery can't see it.

I suggest, before you try anything else, boot from Ubuntu Live CD and see, if you can backup your data.
Manual: http://www.smartestcomputing.us.com/topic/...__1#entry147112

My Website

p4433470.gif

#11 RedFirePhoenix

RedFirePhoenix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2010 - 04:13 PM

I decided the files were expendable. However, I'm having a new problem.

I installed a new drive today. I got the OS reinstalled, no problems. However, I went to set my internet connection back up, and it's saying it can't find any networks because my computer doesn't have a wireless network adapter installed or configured correctly. I'm assuming this is because the drivers will need updated, but I'm not sure. Obviously, I have a wireless network adapter, as I ran my computer on wireless the whole time I had it. What's going on?

#12 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,614 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2010 - 07:59 PM

The main question is, what type of disk you used to reinstall Windows.
If regular Windows Vista DVD, some drivers may be missing.
If some recovery DVD, all drivers should be in place.

First thing to check is to go Start>Control Panel>Device Manager and see, if you have any errors there.

My Website

p4433470.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users