Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Brown screen vertical stripes

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 EricaT

EricaT

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 AM

Posted 08 October 2010 - 08:19 PM

Hello,

A few months ago, I bought the Radeon HD 5670 512M GDDR5 graphics card. About three weeks ago, when my computer had overheated from gaming too much, I turned the fan speed of the video card up. After I had turned on my computer again hours later after turning it off to do some errands, I had noticed a brown screen with vertical stripes upon entering the desktop. This brown screened popped up maybe 3 seconds after the computer reached the desktop. The screen permanently stayed that way. Of course, my first instinct was to take out the video card, uninstall the driver and reinstall it again. Sometimes that would work, but when the computer would restart again, I still got the brown screen. I thought I had messed up the wiring of the circuit board of the video card. Since the card was still new, I requested an RMA from Sapphire to get a replacement. Today, I received a replacement card. Everything went swell when I had installed the video card. Again though, when I turned the computer off and turned it on after a few hours of not using it, I received the brown screen with vertical stripes. I don't understand why my computer is doing this, or the graphics card even. I did not change any of the settings on the replaced video card. All I did was install the most updated driver.
I reverted back to my old graphics card, the geforce 7900gtx when my Radeon HD 5670 was getting an RMA and I'm even using the geforce at the moment. Everything is working fine with the Nvidia geforce. No brown screen at the desktop.

I was hoping a few of you could help solve this issue. I really want to use my Radeon HD 5670. It's so much better than my 4 year old geforce 7900gtx. If this is any help I have Windows XP.

Thank you,

Erica

Edited by EricaT, 08 October 2010 - 08:29 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 08 October 2010 - 09:21 PM

Have you tried uninstalling the new drivers and going with the old ones? What's new isn't always the best.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2010 - 09:23 PM

Hello Erica and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

Is there is any way you could post an image of the screen when this problem occurs?

I want to say your problem might be related to a sleep function, I do not know what you meant by this statement here. "when I turned the computer off and turned it on after a few hours of not using it, I received the brown screen with vertical stripes."
Is this a restart or a complete shutdown and then a startup several hours later?

What I am trying to determine is if your computer has a sleep mode problem.

If this is a complete shutdown and startup, we may be looking at a BIOS setting that is changing or a dead CMOS battery.

Bruce.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#4 EricaT

EricaT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2010 - 09:35 PM

Thank you both MrBruce and dc3 for replying.

To Dc3: I will try that tonight or tomorrow.

To MrBruce: By that statement you quoted, I mean that I turned the computer off because I had to go do a few errands (aka...shopping). When I returned home after shopping, I turned on my computer to play some games. Unfortunately, when the computer strated up to the desktop, I got this brown screen with vertical white stripes. I will try to get a picture of the screen when I reinput the graphics card into the motherboard sometime tonight or tomorrow.

However, when I put in my old graphics card back into the motherboard, my computer doesn't get the brown screen with stripes at the desktop. Just for some reason, my computer doesn't like ATI anymore. :thumbsup:

Edited by EricaT, 08 October 2010 - 09:36 PM.

#5 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2010 - 09:41 PM

I understand and I would try what dc3 suggested first and if this does not clear up the problem, please post the screen shot showing the screen while you have this brown screen with stripes error.

I wish the best of luck to you.

Bruce.

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#6 EricaT

EricaT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2010 - 09:50 PM

I'm thinking about updating my motherboard. On the Gigabyte website, I see an update for the chipset/VGA. I will try updating that first and post back with results.

#7 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2010 - 10:32 PM

I'm thinking about updating my motherboard. On the Gigabyte website, I see an update for the chipset/VGA. I will try updating that first and post back with results.

Okay.

We will be watching and ready to assist if you need further assistance.

Kind regards.

Bruce.

#8 EricaT

EricaT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2010 - 10:41 PM

Well... I updated the motherboard to no avail. However, I haven't updated the driver to an older version yet. Here is a picture I took of the brown screen with vertical stripes I was talking about. It actually kinda looks orange now that I think about it.

Posted Image

Edited by EricaT, 08 October 2010 - 10:42 PM.

#9 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2010 - 11:08 PM

Here is a link to the web site for your drivers.

http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/Pag...deon-xp-32.aspx

Download version 10.9

You can try the catalyst download first. The one where it says recommended. Or you can just download the driver, which is listed below that download.

Let us know if this driver corrects the problem. Please uninstall the original driver first! If you can not boot up into windows secessfully, please try using safe mode at boot up by pressing F8. Hopefully the computer will boot into windows.

Please post back the results.

Bruce.

#10 EricaT

EricaT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2010 - 11:58 PM

The installation was a success. In the past though, I have repeated this step many times and the brown/orange screen appears when I turn on the computer the next day or several hours later. I'll keep you posted tomorrow when I turn my computer on. Thank you for your help today. I relaly appreciate it. :thumbsup:

#11 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2010 - 12:04 AM

You are welcome for the help and I hope for the best!

Please keep us posted either way, if this fails, we'll try to offer another solution.

After all, two entirely different video cards can't both be bad and it if does happen, it is rather extremely rare.

Bruce.

#12 EricaT

EricaT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2010 - 12:48 PM

Hi Bruce. Well, I turned on my computer this morning and there was no brown screen. But...I guess the Catalyst Control Center wasn't installed properly. Usually if it's actually installed, the ATI icon would show up on the icon table at the bottom right of the desktop but it didn't this time. I got this error message when I tried to open the Catalyst Control Center(CCC) through the start up menu "Cannot load file CLI.Implementation". So I Googled that up and read other's peoples' inputs on how to fix this. Most people fixed it by uninstalling and reinstalling CCC. I proceeded to do this once I restarted my computer. When CCC had completed installing after I had reinstalled it and rebooted the computer, the screen flickered once then BAM!, brown screen. So I figured to avoid this, I would just install the display driver. And so, I started the whole process over again. I unistalled everything ATI and only installed the display driver. There wasn't a brown screen when I only installed the display driver. I would only get the brown screen right after installing CCC.

Edited by EricaT, 09 October 2010 - 12:49 PM.

#13 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2010 - 02:09 PM

I should have posted a reason why I mentioned that you can install the catalyst version or just the driver version with than explanation included.

The reason both downloads are available is because the catalyst software does not always work properly with all computers.

I have had issues with the catalyst on some older computers I have that have ATI video cards installed, where the driver software worked just fine.

Of course you and I weren't alone with this problem, so ATI/AMD released the drivers without the Catalyst software included, just for this reason.

You have your choice, you can either accept that the Catalyst isn't going to work with your computer, and accept just the drivers that work, or try to get support from ATI's support pages on how to get around this bug.

Unless you are into special features and video screen manipulations, which is what the Catalyst software does, you do not need it installed for normal use.

Its only there mostly for gaming and 3-D gaming manipulations, if you are into this sort of thing, then you can figure out ways to get around it and get the Catalyst to work. If you are just wanting to play video games without video manipulation, you do not need Catalyst, most computer games will work flawlessly just the same.

Bruce.

#14 EricaT

EricaT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2010 - 05:09 PM

I never usually bother with video card settings anyway. I guess I'll just have to wait for ATI with a fixed update. But I'll just leave my computer the way it is. Thank you so much Bruce for your help! If any problems come up again, I guess I'll just send you a message. Thank you again!

#15 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2010 - 06:20 PM

You bet, I'll be here when you need me. :flowers:

You are also welcomed for my help and thank you for choosing Bleepingcomputer as your place to come to for help, advice or assistance. :thumbsup:

Bruce.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users