Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Magic ISO

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Rob81

Rob81

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 AM

Posted 08 October 2010 - 06:36 PM

Hello I am running Windows XP Home and in the past I installed a magic iso virtual drive. I rarely use my actual cd/dvd drive to play movies but when I do it doesnt work. I can play music and anything CD related but anything DVD related doesnt work. It seems that the virtual dvd drive was interfering with DVD playing. I uninstalled Magic Iso with revo uninstaller and the drive still appears under "my computer" how can I totally remove this drive???

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 AM

Posted 08 October 2010 - 06:46 PM

Did you first attempt to uninstall MagicISO using Add\Remove programs?

If not then my first suggestion would be to reinstall MagicISO and use Add\Remove to attempt a proper uninstall.

#3 Rob81

Rob81
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2010 - 06:56 PM

Yup I tried that before I tried that revo uninstaller sorry i should have mentioned that.

#4 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2010 - 07:03 PM

With MagicISO uninstalled if you go into Device manager is the virtual drive still shown? It would show up when you expand the string + at DVD/CD-ROM drives.
If so, right click on it and select uninstall. Restart your computer and see if it has disappeared from My Computer.

#5 Rob81

Rob81
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2010 - 07:17 PM

Ya it shows up in device manager just like you said, i uninstalled it and it dissapeared. As soon as I restart the computer the windows has found new hardware thing pops up and says it has found new hardware and I assume it just reinstalls it again cause its back in the device manager.

#6 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2010 - 07:23 PM

I wonder if the MagicDisc was used to mount the virtual drive?

http://www.magiciso.com/tutorials/miso-magicdisc-unmount.htm
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#7 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2010 - 07:24 PM

I have used MagicISO but not for creating a virtual drive. I know Revo is often mentioned on the forums but have not used it at all.

The last time you uninstalled MI was with Revo?
If so. Try reinstalling MI. Use Add\Remove to uninstall it. Then remove the virtual drive shown in Device manager. Restart.

Keep your fingers crossed. < purely optional. :thumbsup:

#8 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2010 - 07:34 PM

MagicISO Virtual CD/DVD-ROM (MagicDisc)

Mount CD/DVD image
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#9 Rob81

Rob81
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2010 - 07:52 PM

Ok so I reinstalled Magic ISO opened it and I think I went to the tools tab at the top then I went to options (if my memory serves me right) There was an option that said automout or mount and it said 1 drive. I clicked on the drop down menu and changed it to dissable then I uninstalled magic iso using add/remove and viola it is gone. Fingers and tossed crossed worked!! :thumbsup: BUT I put a dvd in my drive and it still wont play it :flowers:

#10 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2010 - 08:07 PM

Glad you got it figured out.

On to the next problem. What program had you previously used to play DVD`s ?
Did DVD`s ever play OK or after having reread your first post it seem`s you have had these problems for some time.

#11 Rob81

Rob81
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2010 - 08:15 PM

Usually I would just put a DVD video in and I am pretty sure I used windows media player to watch them. Ya its been awhile since I put a DVD in so I am not sure how long it hasnt worked. When I put a DVD in the light comes on it makes noise and I can hear it spining up the DVD it just doesnt do anything. Even when I go to my computer the icon doesnt change like its reading the dvd. It works with CD's no problem Hmmmmmm

#12 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2010 - 08:23 PM

There are two things may be happening. Many times a CD\DVD player can suffer a partial failure. It will continue to read one media fine but will fail with the other.

The other problem may be registry related. I thought Microsoft offered an automated Fix-it for this but I am having a hard time locating the proper page for XP.

Perhaps another Member has the link.

#13 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2010 - 08:26 PM

Here it is. Read about it and give it a try if you`d like.

http://support.microsoft.com/gp/cd_dvd_drive_problems

If it is a partial failure as I first mentioned then this will neither hurt or help. You would be looking at replacing the optical drive.

#14 Rob81

Rob81
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2010 - 08:57 PM

So I ran that tool and it asked to insert a cd/dvd I inserted a movie and it actually came up the options asking what i want to do i clicked "open with windows media player and it said something about the codec blah blah. So i went to my computer and instead of the regular looking drive it had the name of the movie like it was reading the disk. I right clicked on it and played it VLC player. It seems to work it just takes long to recognize that there is a dvd in the drive. I am gonna try a different movie

#15 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2010 - 09:09 PM

Sounds like a workable solution.

I do`t use WMP at all. Strictly VLC.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users