Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blue Screen of Death... BIOS related?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 mistuhw00

mistuhw00

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 PM

Posted 08 October 2010 - 06:02 PM

Hello, early this morning I got the following message upon booting my computer:

"\windows\system32\config\system is either missing or corrupt."

And so I found a solution using google on a different computer. I put in my Windows CD and ran the recovery module. It worked. But when I had to restart my computer because of an update, the same error occurred. Assuming that this error was a recurring thing, I decided to reformat my computer. Like usual, I put in my Windows CD and started anew on my computer. The usual setup finished and the computer restarted, when the screen turned light blue and said "setup is restarting." after that I got a dark blue screen with following message:

"Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable such components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.
STOP : 0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0xBF803E1A, 0xF7626C94, 0x00000000)
win32k.sys - Address BF803E1A base at BF800000, Datestamp 41107f7a"

I tried to boot again in safe mode, and the same thing happened. I tried searching on google to find the solutions, but there was no information on how to access the BIOS settings on my computer. About 2 weeks ago, I upgraded my computer's RAM using Crucial's "1GB DDR2 PC2-5300 MEMORY MODULE" RAM sticks. I bought them because crucial's scanning software told me that they were compatible with my computer. Is this the cause? Please respond. Any help would be appreciated.

Compaq Presario SR2044NX
Windows XP

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,425 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 PM

Posted 08 October 2010 - 07:33 PM

STOP : 0x0000008E: See 8E, left column at http://www.aumha.org/a/stop.htm for generic info.

The first error message you received...indicates that the registry was damaged. System is a file reflecting registry settings.

Since I have MS XP CDs...I would boot into the Recovery Console...see if it recognizes a Windows install...and try run the chkdsk /r command.

Depending on how that goes...I would then run the appropriate hard drive diagnostic.

Bootable Hard Drive Diagnostics - Vox - http://usasma.vox.com/library/post/bootabl...iagnostics.html

Are you using a Compaq-provided CD to attempt this install?

Louis

#3 mistuhw00

mistuhw00
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2010 - 08:17 PM

I've tried running the recovery console, but it keeps asking for the administrator's password. I have never set a password on my computer. When I press enter without typing anything, it says that it is incorrect and restarts after 3 failed attempts. Also, I've reformatted my computer using this CD before. Since my computer didn't come with a CD, I got a copy from a computer repair shop I know well. I'm reasonably confident that it's compaq and that it works.

Edited by mistuhw00, 08 October 2010 - 08:32 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,425 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2010 - 08:26 PM

OK, skip that...see if you can run a hard drive diagnostic.

Louis

#5 mistuhw00

mistuhw00
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2010 - 09:14 PM

uh. how am I going to run it without booting up the computer? Everything I click on that page redirects me to http://usasma.typepad.com/blog/.

Edited by mistuhw00, 08 October 2010 - 09:17 PM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,425 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2010 - 09:39 PM

My error, he must be working on changing his website.

Try Hard Drive Installation and Diagnostic Tools - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic28744.html

The diagnostic doesn't require booting into Windows...you previously said that you tried safe mode, etc. Accessing the BIOS options (to change the first boot option from hard drive to optical drive) appears before any of the Windows screens.

Louis

#7 mistuhw00

mistuhw00
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2010 - 09:46 PM

Wait. So I have to burn this onto a disk? Also, which one do I choose? I don't know the manufacturer of my hard disk.

Edited by mistuhw00, 08 October 2010 - 09:55 PM.

#8 mistuhw00

mistuhw00
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2010 - 02:00 AM

All right. I somehow got it to boot after several attempts to reformat. But it's still not completely fixed. I've installed majority of the device drivers, but after the IE7 update (because IE8 wouldn't install) I can't go on the internet at all. It has a blank page with the words "Connecting" on the tab. Also, I'm having some trouble installing some windows updates / programs. The computer seems slower than before, but at least it boots.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,425 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2010 - 08:03 AM

Download/install BlueScreenView, http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html.

Double-click BlueScreenView.exe file.

When scanning is done, Edit/Select All...then File/Save Selected Items.

Save the report as BSOD.txt.

Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all content and paste it into your next reply.

Louis

Edit: If you cannot go online...how are you attempting to install updates? What SP is currently installed on this system?

Edited by hamluis, 09 October 2010 - 08:05 AM.

#10 mistuhw00

mistuhw00
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2010 - 10:18 AM

I've installed it and ran it, but it turned up blank. There were no dump files in the window. In the bottom right corner of the window, it says "0 crashes". I'm guessing that all those files disappeared when the reformatting happened. I tried to send you a screenshot but I found out that Paint didn't work as well.

I've tried to install the updates prior to updating to IE 7. There were some that failed due to errors (such as IE8), but at least I had internet capability.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,425 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2010 - 10:42 AM

Compaq/HP systems...have specific instructions for installing SP2 and SP3.

Since you didn't indicate what SP is currently installed...I have to guess that SP3 is not installed, since IE 7 installs with it.

Rather than manually updating or doing so one by one, it would probably be best if you downloaded SP3 and then installed it from your desktop.

FWIW:

HP Instructions for SP3 - http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...cname=c01452495

HP Instructions, Updating to SP2 - http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...228&lang=de

Additionally...there are some known problems when some users attempt to install IE7 or IE8, based on SP installed or attempted repair installs (I think)...these are usually overcome by the user reinstalling IE.

Louis

#12 mistuhw00

mistuhw00
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2010 - 08:06 PM

I've tried installing sp3 and I get this error message:

"Data error (cyclic redundancy check)."

Also, I've uninstalled IE7 and internet works again.
I've installed AVG and ran the tuneup program to get rid of some registry errors.
The windows theme keeps changing to the old theme. When I try to change it, it says:

"The theme could not be loaded because the theme service is not running. You can turn the service on in the Computer Management Administrative Tool in the Control Panel.

File: C:\WINDOWS\Resources\Themes\Royale.theme"

I also ran the chkdsk utility and found out that I had a lot of orphaned file segments or something. A long list of files got added.

Edited by mistuhw00, 09 October 2010 - 08:17 PM.

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,425 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2010 - 05:02 AM

<<...and ran the tuneup program to get rid of some registry errors>>

That is a step backwards, IMO.

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:

• Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.

The Windows registry is a central repository (database) for storing configuration data, user settings and machine-dependent settings, and options for the operating system. It contains information and settings for all hardware, software, users, and preferences. Whenever a user makes changes to settings, file associations, system policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in this repository. The registry is a crucial component because it is where Windows "remembers" all this information, how it works together, how Windows boots the system and what files it uses when it does. The registry is also a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly can render the system inoperable. For a more detailed explanation, read Understanding The Registry.

• Not all registry cleaners are created equal. There are a number of them available but they do not all work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad entry". One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause problems when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.

• Not all registry cleaners create a backup of the registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting up, then there is no backup available to restore it in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.

• Improperly removing registry entries can hamper malware disinfection and make the removal process more difficult if your computer becomes infected. For example, removing malware related registry entries before the infection is properly identified can contribute to system instability and even make the malware undetectable to removal tools.

• The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results".

Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.

Why I don’t use registry cleaners - http://www.edbott.com/weblog/?p=643

Should I Use A Registry Cleaner - http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=28099

Your original error reflected a registry problem...if you actually formatted, such eliminates that from consideration as "the cause."

You say that you reformatted, installed XP anew...and subsequently developed problems. IMO, that means that you need to take a look at possible hardware problems.

<<Data error (cyclic redundancy check).">>

http://www.tech-faq.com/data-error-cyclic-...ancy-check.html

That error usually indicates a problem with an optical drive...I don't see how this relates to installing SP3 at all...unless it's a possible indicator of hard drive problems.

You can find out the manufacturer of your hard drive by simply opening the case and taking a look at it. You could also go to Device Manager (Start/Run...type devmgmt.msc and hit Enter) and look at the detail reflected under Disk Drives...then use Google to see who the manufacturer is.

Louis

There is also a chance that all these situations are caused by a failing CMOS battery. It costs less than $5 to replace it. Tips for knowing when the CMOS battery is getting weak - by Iowaprodigal - Helium - http://www.helium.com/items/806743-tips-fo...is-getting-weak

CMOS Battery Replacement - http://www.liverepair.com/encyclopedia/art...cmosreplace.asp

Edited by hamluis, 10 October 2010 - 05:07 AM.

#14 Gabrial

Gabrial

• Members
  • 468 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 PM

Posted 10 October 2010 - 11:57 PM

Your problems could be caused by bad or incompatible ram. Take out the ram you installed and reinstall windows and see if the problems go away. Then reinstall the ram and run a ram test.

#15 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 PM

Posted 11 October 2010 - 12:01 AM

"Data error (cyclic redundancy check)."

That usually indicates damaged data\media.

Were you attempting to install SP3 from a CD or DVD?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users