Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Fan Problem

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Help Me 101

Help Me 101

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 PM

Posted 08 October 2010 - 12:17 PM

For the last week or so, my laptop is making loud noises. It sounds like a spinning wheel, but not the normal way.

I can't really describe it, but it sounds like it's either a little loose or that it's hitting something.

I searched around on the internet and apparently, the fan might be clogged or something, but I just had it cleaned around 3 months ago.

It usually happens after having my laptop on for quite a long time, but today, after being on for 3 hours, it started making those noises and after about 5-10 minutes, it stopped.

Does anyone know the problem and the solution? I don't really want to take it for repair again.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 PM

Posted 08 October 2010 - 12:28 PM

If it is a squeaking or squealing noise it could be the bearing for the fan. If this is the case then you should replace the fan.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 JonM33

JonM33

• Banned
  • 503 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 PM

Posted 08 October 2010 - 04:28 PM

^^^In most cases that requires opening up the laptop, not an easy feat for most non-technical people.

It's a fact that fans go bad. They are a moving part with bearings. Heck, my Radeon HD 5850 has a fan that's rattling - quietly but I can notice it if I listen closely. There's nothing I can do except for try to RMA the card. That means I need to pull it out and be without a gaming card for 3-4 weeks for the sake of a $5 plastic part.

Anyway, unless he has the knowhow to open the laptop up to get to the fan then he might just have to deal with it.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2010 - 05:01 PM

Anyway, unless he has the knowhow to open the laptop up to get to the fan then he might just have to deal with it.

And the end effect is if the fan fails the computer will overheat and shut down.

Please post the make and model of this computer. There are tutorials online that will often show step by step methods of making this repair, most will even include pictures to assist you.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Help Me 101

Help Me 101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2010 - 05:43 PM

Hi, I am a quite techy person but I have never opened a laptop before and I'm also quite scared in case something might go wrong, but I have tried to open the back before when my laptop was overheating but I didn't get to.

My laptop is Acer 5315

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2010 - 10:09 PM

Hello I can not find a disassembly for the acer 5315 at this web site but the laptops displayed at this site might be useful in helping you figure out how to disassemble yours.

http://www.insidemylaptop.com/category/1-a...laptops/page/3/

Here is the Acer support web site.

http://support.acer.com/us/en/product_support.aspx?tab=1

http://support.acer.com/acerpanam/notebook...ire5315nv.shtml

One thing I noticed is they have the wrong users manual on this link that is printed in the English language, which is listed at this link.

http://support.acer.com/acerpanam/notebook...ire5315ul.shtml

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 08 October 2010 - 10:11 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#7 JonM33

JonM33

• Banned
  • 503 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2010 - 11:25 PM

Hi, I am a quite techy person but I have never opened a laptop before and I'm also quite scared in case something might go wrong, but I have tried to open the back before when my laptop was overheating but I didn't get to.

My laptop is Acer 5315

Just use the usual precautions when handling the circuit boards (ESD, etc). All laptops are different on how you get to the fan.

#8 Help Me 101

Help Me 101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2010 - 10:16 AM

Should I open the back cover then or not?

I recorder the sound that the laptop makes with my phone, but it's not very loud.

I tried uploading it here but it wouldn't let me, so where should i upload it?

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2010 - 10:39 AM

This site has instructions for replacing the fan. You will need to scroll down a little bit to find the instructions.

#10 Help Me 101

Help Me 101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2010 - 12:42 PM

Is this problem serious? Because I'm having second thoughts of opening the back of the laptop.

#11 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2010 - 01:37 AM

Is this problem serious? Because I'm having second thoughts of opening the back of the laptop.

It can very well be serious, if this fan was to stop spinning for any reason, your computer WILL overheat and in the best case scenario shutdown.

In the worst case scenario, your computer can sustain permanent damage and require expensive repairs or the processor or motherboard can become damaged beyond reasonable repair.

If you feel uncomfortable with opening your laptop, I strongly suggest you bring it to a reputable computer repair shop for servicing. At the very least, they will warranty the parts that were replaced.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users