Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help with slow internet

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Ren920

Ren920

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 PM

Posted 08 October 2010 - 12:15 PM

Here's our VERY frustrating situation. Our internet is running extremely slowly. Download speed is about .24-.28, and we pay for 3 MBPS.

We have DSL through our phone company with a Westell modem. Our phone company ran diagnostics from their end and say that the phone line and modem are fine, that the speed up to there is good, and suggested it could be our router.

We have 2 Gateway laptops one is Vista, one is Windows 7), and a WRT54G2 Linksys router. Both our laptops have wireless, and up to a couple of weeks ago have been working fine. Wireless signal shows as strong.

Here's some of what we have tried:

When we try to bypass the router, running the ethernet cable straight in to one of the laptops, we can't get internet. We tried disabling the wireless network so that it would have to use the wired, but there was still no connection. We rebooted the computer after installing the ethernet cable. Is there some other setting we need to change in order to have to laptop work with the ethernet cable? We were thinking if we could do that and then check the speed it would tell us if the problem was the router.

We did have malware on the Windows 7 computer a couple of weeks ago. It was MyWebSearch and we seemed to have gotten it all with AdAware, Spybot, and Malwarebytes. Could there be something left in the registry that could be slowing things down? This doesn't really make sense because both computers are very slow, but only one was infected.

We also have an itouch device, which picks up the wireless signal from the router and it does NOT seem to be slow.

We are not too technical, but we can follow directions and understand things, but I'm scared to go in and start messing with stuff.

What would you do next?

Thanks in advance!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orecomm

Orecomm

• Members
  • 261 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 AM

Posted 08 October 2010 - 03:40 PM

First I would try connecting the laptop to one of the four ethernet local ports on the back of the router and see if there is any difference. Use one of the speedtest websites (I use Speakeasy's speedtest sites) and also check on pingtest.net for latency, jitter, and especially packet loss.

If you connect the laptop directly to your westell modem you will need to power cycle the modem or wait several minutes before it will recognize the laptop. It remembers the MAC address of the device it is connected to. You will have to repeat the process when you reconnect your router.

You might try downloading one of the free "Stumblers" (WiFi scanners, like NetStumbler) and check to see if there are any strong WiFi signals on the same or nearby channels to your router. "Nearby" is +/- 3 channels, where they will interfere. If you are on channel 1, a strong signal on channel 2 or 3 can cause interference, especially if it is heavily used.

Lots of things can cause slow, but this should help narrow the field. Let us know what you find.

#3 Ren920

Ren920
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 PM

Posted 08 October 2010 - 04:33 PM

Thanks so much Orecomm!

1) we connected one of the laptops to the ethernet port on back of the router. That didn't make a difference in our speed. speedtest was .28.

2) I ran the test on pingtest.net with the wireless connection, and got these results: Ping 51, Jitter 1, packet loss zero. Speed .28

3) I also ran it with the ethernet cable connected from the laptop to one of the 4 rear ports on the router, and got this: Ping 38 Jitter 6 packet loss zero. speed.28

It did say we have excellen line quality.

Then we attempted again to connect the laptop directly to the Westell modem using the ethernet cable. We shut down the computer, then shut down the modem and left it off for about a minute. Turned the modem back on, then booted up the PC. We never did get a connection. I turned off the wioreless switch on the laptop but that din't help. Waited several minutes in case it took that long for them to talk to each other. Still no connection direct form DSL modem to laptop.

The tech from our phone company mentioned something about if we want to connect directly form teh computer to the laptop there are some kind of settings we need to change so that the laptop is not wanting to use the wireless connection? Is there some setting we need to take care of in addition to just plugging that ethernety cable into the laptop and power cycling the modem?

Last, I did download the NetStumbler but I'm not sure what I'm looking for. Do I run a scan? How do I tell what channel my own router is on?

Thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users