Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Query

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 safc32

safc32

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 PM

Posted 08 October 2010 - 07:49 AM

Hi, yesterday I was forced to flatten & rebuild my system due to the Trojan SHeur3.AQRA - Win32/Ramnit.A virus, I succesfully managed to reformat Windows 7 however I have a slight queery over certain behaviour once I had done, as I originally posted here

...there was one thing, dont know if I'm just being paranoid, however once I'd validated my install I immediately went to the AVG website through internet explorer to download AVG, however ie crashed constantly every time I made it to the site. After the crash I tried browsing other sites and it was fine, then back to AVG and it crashed again. I repeated this step a couple of times. In the end I downloaded google chrome, which made it onto the AVG site without any problems & I successfully downloaded and installed AVG. Is there any reason why ie repeatedly crashed attempting to reach the AVG website, or am I just being paranoid? (I hope it's the latter)

I was pointed in this direction by one of your mods, who incidentally I found really helpful throughout my infection period, and I would be really grateful to anyone who has any information regarding the slight abnormality in my PC's behaviour that I mentioned in the quote brackets above. Incidentally I was using IE8 when this happened.

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 AM

Posted 08 October 2010 - 10:45 AM

You could have a corrupt file in Internet Explorer 8. You can uninstall it and reinstall it, or uninstall it and use Internet Explorer 7.

How to uninstall Internet Explorer 8.

Close all programs before starting this process.

Start> Control Panel> Programs> Feature.

In the tasks pane, click on Turn Windows features on or off.

In the list of windows features, clear the check box next to Internet Explorer 8.

If you receive a warning message in a pop-up window. Click Yes.

The computer will restart.

After the computer restarts Internet Explorer will be uninstalled and you can reinstall it. At this point Internet 7 should be installed. If you wish to use Internet Explore 7 open Internet Explorer. In the Help menu click on About Internet Explorer. If Internet Explorer 6 or 7 appears in the About Internet Explorer dialog box you are finished.

Edited by dc3, 08 October 2010 - 10:46 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 safc32

safc32
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2010 - 12:25 PM

You could have a corrupt file in Internet Explorer 8. You can uninstall it and reinstall it, or uninstall it and use Internet Explorer 7.

How to uninstall Internet Explorer 8.

Close all programs before starting this process.

Start> Control Panel> Programs> Feature.

In the tasks pane, click on Turn Windows features on or off.

In the list of windows features, clear the check box next to Internet Explorer 8.

If you receive a warning message in a pop-up window. Click Yes.

The computer will restart.

After the computer restarts Internet Explorer will be uninstalled and you can reinstall it. At this point Internet 7 should be installed. If you wish to use Internet Explore 7 open Internet Explorer. In the Help menu click on About Internet Explorer. If Internet Explorer 6 or 7 appears in the About Internet Explorer dialog box you are finished.

Thanks for your response however when I try and install IE7 I get a message "Internet Explorer 7 is not compatible with this OS"

Would it be ok to install IE9 Beta instead?

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,265 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2010 - 12:36 PM

Sure, but bear in mind that it is a beta version. This means that there may still be some bugs in it.

I should apologize, I had assumed that Windows 7 would be compatible with IE7, as it turns out W7 will not support any version older that IE8.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 safc32

safc32
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2010 - 12:39 PM

Sure, but bear in mind that it is a beta version. This means that there may still be some bugs in it.

I should apologize, I had assumed that Windows 7 would be compatible with IE7, as it turns out W7 will not support any version older that IE8.

Ok thanks, however I may leave IE off my PC altogether as I very rarely use it, at least until a stable version of IE9 is released anyway.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,265 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2010 - 01:00 PM

I use Firefox and don't have any problems. I haven't use Internet Explorer in years.

#7 safc32

safc32
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2010 - 02:08 PM

I use Firefox and don't have any problems. I haven't use Internet Explorer in years.

Thanks again. :huh:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users