Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Where is "Scan Disc" in XP Pro?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 atthemovies

atthemovies

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 AM

Posted 08 October 2010 - 04:34 AM

I have a corrupted file and want to run scan disc to see if it will fix it-I don't think it will though-I believe I tried this a long time ago and it said I needed to install my disc and run system file checker but I don't have the original disc. I've not been on the computer for about three years and am so rusty I can't even remember where scan disc is in this operating system. Thanks in advance for any help and advice-I've tried to download Combo fix but my Norton Security system keeps blocking it so I'm trying to work this out. I have XP Pro and am having a lot of problems.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ramchu

Ramchu

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 AM

Posted 08 October 2010 - 04:51 AM

What brand of computer do you have ?

On some computers like my HP when you boot it up at the 1st screen it possibly says something like ( F1- boot menu F2- Setup F10- System Recovery )
You can possibly go into system recovery and have an option to repair or even restore your system to its original state.

Some computer manufacturers partition a section of the hard drive for this, rather than send an Install/repair disc with the computer

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,664 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 PM

Posted 08 October 2010 - 05:03 AM

Note that if you use a restore option on a brandname computer system, you can revert the system to the condition it left the factory, minus all your data and subsequently installed programs.

Windows XP utilises chkdsk.exe for file system maintenance:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265

Remember, combofix should only be used under the guidance of a qualified helper:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic273628.html

Edited by Platypus, 08 October 2010 - 05:18 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#4 atthemovies

atthemovies
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2010 - 09:37 PM

But where is "scan Disc" ? It's not in System Tools like it used to be on my other operating system-I've just got an E-Machines tower-regular old windows system. Sorry, I clicked on the link above and feel like a moron! Been going through a lot of pain and it's making things hard to concentrate on. Thank you for the info!

Edited by atthemovies, 09 October 2010 - 12:22 AM.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,590 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 AM

Posted 09 October 2010 - 02:01 AM

Run sfc with the scannow option, this will scan and repair important Windows files.

Instructions

1. Locate your Windows XP installation CD. If you don't have one, you'll need to locate a directory on your system that's named"i386" (without the quotes). This directory may be on a hidden partition on your hard drive.

2. Go to Start, then to Run, and type in "SFC.EXE /SCANNOW" (without the quotes - and with a space between the SFC.EXE and the /SCANNOW). Then press Enter. (For VISTA, go to Start and type in the above information, then go to the top of the box and right click on SFC.EXE /SCANNOW and select "Run As Administrator")

3. The program may (or it may not) ask you for your Windows XP installation CD - please insert it at the prompt. If it doesn't ask you for the CD this means that it wasn't necessary to replace any files.

4. In the event the the system asks you for the CD, you must visit Windows Update immediately after the scan is completed (Please note that there won't be any confirmation dialog - the program will just exit without telling you anything).

5. If this doesn't repair the problem with your system other troubleshooting procedures are required.

Edited by dc3, 09 October 2010 - 02:10 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,302 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2010 - 02:02 AM

But where is "scan Disc" ? It's not in System Tools like it used to be on my other operating system-I've just got an E-Machines tower

Q. Where does one find the equivalent of the Windows 9x/Me scandisk in Windows XP?

A. Well, it's not in Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools... Here are some ways to find it from the most complex to the easiest:

Windows XP "SCANDISK"

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#7 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2010 - 05:44 AM

Hi -
This is Disk Check - Is this what you mean ?
Run a Disk Check on your C: drive in Windows XP:
  • Click Start and open My Computer
  • Right-click on C: and select Properties
  • Click on the Tools tab
  • Under Error-checking click the Check Now... button
  • Mark the box next to Automatically fix file system errors and Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors
  • When the message box pops up, click the Schedule disk check button and restart your computer
  • Once your computer restarts it will check the drive, don't press any keys so that it is allowed to do so
Thank You -

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,590 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2010 - 09:29 AM

Obviously atthemovies did indeed mean scandisk. :thumbsup:

Edited by dc3, 09 October 2010 - 09:47 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,590 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2010 - 09:47 AM

I'm a little bit confused, the following is an excerpt from this article at Wikipedia describing SCANDISK.

"SCANDISK can't check NTFS disk drives and therefore isn't available for computers running NT based (including Windows 2000, Windows XP, etc.) versions of Windows: a newer CHKDSK is provided instead (not to be confused with the older MS-DOS CHKDSK)."

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,866 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2010 - 10:31 AM

The original chkdsk command could be run from a command prompt/DOS in Win 2K, not sure what it did because I never used 2K.

Scandisk was from the Win 9x series...it was replaced with XP by the chkdsk command that we all know.

Soo...there is no "scandisk" command since XP and the current chkdsk command performs the functions (and more) that the old "scandisk" command performed in the 9x series.

The only time you see "scan" in XP...is when running the chkdsk equivalent via My Computer/Explorer, where it states "scan for and attempt...", which invokes the equivalent of the chkdsk /r command from the command prompt or the XP Recovery Console.

Louis

#11 atthemovies

atthemovies
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2010 - 01:22 AM

I'm sorry I guess in XP Pro it's called check disc instead of scan disc, but thanks for the info-it did fix the error. I used to be up on the puter, but I've had about 6 surgeries and was on dial up when I moved here so I just quit getting online at all, so I'm so rusty that it's terrible-it's like a bicycle though and I'm catching up fast. Thank you for your replies and patience.

#12 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2010 - 02:23 AM

Scandisk was from the Win 9x series...it was replaced with XP by the chkdsk command that we all know.
Soo...there is no "scandisk" command since XP and the current chkdsk command performs the functions (and more) that the old "scandisk" command performed in the 9x series.

:thumbsup:
This is also what I have understood -
This code is the one I have always used -
CMD /C ECHO Y|CHKDSK C: /R | SHUTDOWN /R /T 30
Copy/Paste into the Run Box , close all programs and it performs the chkdsk operations -
It will reboot and run the full 5 stage scan/check that was similar to the old scandisk in earlier versions -

Edited to include the Code -

Edited by noknojon, 12 October 2010 - 02:31 AM.

#13 Gabrial

Gabrial

• Members
  • 468 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2010 - 04:32 PM

yep. go to a command prompt and type "chkdsk /?" for the built in command line options help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users