Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Motherboard settings reset, and icons dissapeared

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 fgeelo

fgeelo

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 AM

Posted 08 October 2010 - 03:54 AM

When I turned on my computer today, I found that my Motherboard had reset automatically, the date, time and other settings were all reset and I did not do anything to make this happen. When I got into Windows, all of a sudden I found that icons such as my Network icon and most of my hidden icons on the bottom right of my screen (where you need to click the arrow to bring them up) have dissapeared. The programs themselves are still there but their icons are now gone. Some of the programs wont even respond. For example, my speaker icon, my Microsoft Security Essentials (this is NOT localised to MSE though, so I dont think its a virus issue.. but im open to any ideas) Icon and a few others will do nothing when I double click on them, but other programs will. This is really confusing as to why these two things occured and any further help would be appreciated

Edited by fgeelo, 08 October 2010 - 07:34 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 PM

Posted 08 October 2010 - 08:06 AM

You need to change your CMOS Battery: How do I change the CMOS Battery?

#3 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 AM

Posted 08 October 2010 - 08:15 AM

Never new this would happen "first attempt to leave the computer on for 24 hours. In some cases this can charge the battery and resolve your issue. This often resolves CMOS battery related issues when a computer has been left off for several months."

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#4 fgeelo

fgeelo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2010 - 07:30 PM

You need to change your CMOS Battery: How do I change the CMOS Battery?

Thanks for your reply, but it's not resetting any more. If it was a CMOS battery issue, wouldn't it be resetting on every startup?
Also, do you know why I was experiencing those missing icons/defunct programs? Could it have been related to the fact that when I logged in, my date and time settings were off and it caused these programs to stop working? I dont see this happening... because things like my speaker icon werent even working. A reset did not solve it, but a log out and then a shut down and startup did fix it. I am unsure of the cause of this.

It may also be worth noting that there was a storm around here, and my computer was plugged in, HOWEVER it was turned off and so was the power point to which it was connected. So I dont think this would be related? Ive had worse storms where it was connected years ago and had a blackout and nothing had happened, so I dont know if this is related at all.

#5 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2010 - 07:40 PM

Even though your PC was shut off it can still be damaged by stray voltage. It could have found it`s way in through your ground or Internet connection for example. The only way to protect your PC, or any electrical component for that matter is to unplug the power cord from the wall outlet. In the case of a wired Internet connection, disconnect the cable as well.

I`m with CryptoDan. Replace your CMOS battery. Enter your BIOS and reset the date and time. Do the same with in the OS and let us know what happens. We`ll hope nothing else was damaged.

#6 fgeelo

fgeelo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2010 - 01:22 AM

Tt's fine now, but I am wondering what the cause was. If the CMOS was damaged, wouldn't it be resetting each time?

Also, do you know why I was experiencing those missing icons/defunct programs? Could it have been related to the fact that when I logged in, my date and time settings were off and it caused these programs to stop working? I dont see this happening... because things like my speaker icon werent even working. A reset did not solve it, but a log out and then a shut down and startup did fix it. I am unsure of the cause of this.

Edited by fgeelo, 09 October 2010 - 08:17 AM.

#7 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2010 - 10:27 AM

Many programs do check the time\date.
They do it for a multitude of reasons. If they have auto-updates. If they are a paid program and have an expiration date. Among others.

Glad things seem to be sorted out and working well for you now.

#8 Darth sidious

Darth sidious

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2010 - 12:55 PM

I'm with cryptodan and ThunderZ your cmos battery may just be starting to go but date and time reset first strange happenings also replace as has been advised.

Edited by Darth sidious, 09 October 2010 - 12:56 PM.

HP Compaq 6715b Notebook--AMD Turionx2 2.2Ghz 64 Mobile TL-64--4GB DDR2 667Mhz--Compaq 6715b--fujitsu siemens 500GB sataII Internal, Toshiba 1TB EXT HD Backup--IGP ATI Radeon x1250 128MB--Broadcom a\b\g Wlan adapter built in, Sonicwall TZ100, Dlink DSL 2740b--Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit and linux ubuntu dual boot--Firefox 4.0 &IE8--Eset Firewall--Nod32 antivirus & Spyware Doctor--Malwarebytes anti malware.

#9 Darth sidious

Darth sidious

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2010 - 01:00 PM

Never new this would happen "first attempt to leave the computer on for 24 hours. In some cases this can charge the battery and resolve your issue. This often resolves CMOS battery related issues when a computer has been left off for several months."

It will only delay discharge of cmos battery.
HP Compaq 6715b Notebook--AMD Turionx2 2.2Ghz 64 Mobile TL-64--4GB DDR2 667Mhz--Compaq 6715b--fujitsu siemens 500GB sataII Internal, Toshiba 1TB EXT HD Backup--IGP ATI Radeon x1250 128MB--Broadcom a\b\g Wlan adapter built in, Sonicwall TZ100, Dlink DSL 2740b--Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit and linux ubuntu dual boot--Firefox 4.0 &IE8--Eset Firewall--Nod32 antivirus & Spyware Doctor--Malwarebytes anti malware.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users