Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cool Firefox tricks!

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 T Simon

T Simon

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 AM

Posted 08 October 2010 - 02:48 AM

Didn't know about a lot of these and thought I'd share the link to the article:

http://mashable.com/2010/09/29/firefox-tips-tricks/

Enjoy!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 chocobog

chocobog

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 PM

Posted 10 October 2010 - 01:06 PM

Cool, I changed my default mail program !

#3 bradumd

bradumd

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2010 - 07:55 PM

nice ones

#4 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 AM

Posted 02 November 2010 - 10:05 PM

Thank you, now the font is big enough that I can see it clearly and read it easily on every page. That really helps since I sit a few feet away from my monitor

#5 FlannelBack

FlannelBack

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2010 - 01:02 AM

While this isn't a "trick", I've found it to be extremely helpful. Attention was brought to this a couple of years ago in another thread here.

For those of us that have problems with the size of text on some(but not all) sites, the NoSquint extension/add-on is a good cure.

NoSquint will allow you to set and retain the text size on a site by site basis by simply clicking on an icon. It also works with the standard methods of the Ctrl key plus the "+"/"-"/"0" keys as well as the Ctrl key + scroll wheel.

#6 mrfingerz

mrfingerz

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 PM

Posted 01 July 2011 - 11:00 PM

Not exactly a trick either, useful though if you use a lot of add-ons. An add-on to reduce the height of entries in the Add-on manager.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/slim-add-ons-manager/?src=api
It's nice to be important, it's much more important to be nice.

#7 Linda.Christ

Linda.Christ

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 AM

Posted 05 January 2012 - 06:25 AM

Good thing about Firefox is, it has lot of add-ins. But the problem is
1. Most of the add-ins won't compatible with the newer version
2. Firefox software stability is at stake...

#8 mixpix

mixpix

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 AM

Posted 14 January 2012 - 12:35 PM

I had trouble with the newer browser of Firefox. When my computer finally went down with a virus (un-related), I brought back Firefox to the 3.6.25.

It has been real handy running that version; I don't get the video ads that the newer browser kept having them pop up on. Some of the displays have the text cut partially off, but other than the cursor not showing up on the comments box on Facebook, no other issues to deal with.

I am hoping using older versions, shunts those tying up the plug ons to run their ad programs, slowing down the operation?

If I am wrong, please let me know. Let us know what the best browsers are or versions of Firefox. I have all but abandoned IE, but have to have it around for those proprietary Windows operations that default to IE.

Windows 10 Pro 64 bit version 1709
Processor: Intel® Core™2 Duo i5-4210U CPU  T5750 @ 1.70gHz 2.40 GHz
Ram: 8.00 GB
system type: 64bit x-64-based processor
http://speccy.piriform.com/results/VNZNmcrsHQpEHgN51iurDWj

#9 yabbadoo

yabbadoo

• Banned
  • 510 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 PM

Posted 14 January 2012 - 04:30 PM

I had trouble with the newer browser of Firefox. When my computer finally went down with a virus (un-related), I brought back Firefox to the 3.6.25.

I run Firefox version 3.6.25 and update this version every time I get a prompt. It has worked flawless for a very l-o-n-g time and never given any problems.

As FF keep updating their versions every few days and I have read many complaints that the lovely add-ons etc. we all use do not work with the new versions, I have no intention of changing my version 3.6+ until FF have stabilised and all the add-ons and other programs we use have caught up and work satisfactorily. My guess is that the FF update frenzy will go on some time, so until everything becomes a happy family again, I will continue to use 3.6+ while FF maintain support.

At that point, if all the add-ons and auxiliary programs are still not working perfectly, then I will swap over to IE.

I am well aware of all the fantastic "benefits" that many enthusiasts shower upon the new versions of FF, but I can live without them and carry on enjoying perfect harmony and trouble-free operation with all my add-ons and personal selected programs etc. working smoothly.

With Firefox now at version 9.0.1 and version 10.0 Beta 4 coming up fast, they will soon run out of digits or their boffins will die of brain fatigue.

#10 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,782 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2012 - 05:35 PM

I run Firefox version 3.6.25 and update this version every time I get a prompt. It has worked flawless for a very l-o-n-g time and never given any problems.

You should be aware that the ability to use version 3.6.* with support and updates is coming to an end soon.

Mozilla readies to pull support plug on Firefox 3.6

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#11 yabbadoo

yabbadoo

• Banned
  • 510 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 PM

Posted 15 January 2012 - 10:36 AM

You should be aware that the ability to use version 3.6.* with support and updates is coming to an end soon.

Mozilla readies to pull support plug on Firefox 3.6

Thank you so much for your note. It is much appreciated.

I do not have any problems with my PC, not an infections for as long as I can remember. I put this down to the impeccable performance of Ronan Tzuk`s miraculous Sandboxie, where all the bugs and threats are confined to a virtual environment and are killed off on closure. To support this unique security program, I have AVG 2012, ZA, NoScript and ABP, plus a few others.

I have used Firefox for years and fought their battles many times on many Forum`s, but this latest fetish of Mozilla to keep on updating their program every few days so that all the other auxiliary programs and add-ons etc. are unable to catch up and fail, is unbelievable and seems to be a browser Death Wish.

No great sweat, I always have IE to crawl back to and although I idolise Firefox to the extreme, I will not tolerate any dubious technical inconsideration to customers in a mad dash to some self inflicted Armageddon.

When the time comes and Mozilla pull the plug on version 3+, I will try their update, but if I find ANYTHING I currently have does not work, then Firefox will be dumped as fast as I can click my mouse.

#12 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,782 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2012 - 02:39 PM

I will try their update, but if I find ANYTHING I currently have does not work, then Firefox will be dumped as fast as I can click my mouse.

Which was the main reason I got rid of Firefox in the early days. The inability of add-on developers to keep pace with the browser updates and have their much touted and lauded feature of browser customizations be stable.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#13 19Missy58

19Missy58

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 AM

Posted 19 January 2012 - 08:58 AM

I also have FireFox on my home pc, but every time I have tried to use it I get blasted with warnings saying my financial institutes are not encrypting their information.

So I have gave up on FF also.

#14 mixpix

mixpix

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2012 - 12:00 AM

Is Chrome browser any better than Firefox? Or will it have the same issues with add-ons?

Windows 10 Pro 64 bit version 1709
Processor: Intel® Core™2 Duo i5-4210U CPU  T5750 @ 1.70gHz 2.40 GHz
Ram: 8.00 GB
system type: 64bit x-64-based processor
http://speccy.piriform.com/results/VNZNmcrsHQpEHgN51iurDWj

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users