Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Interference in sound after memory upgrade

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Plexiglass

Plexiglass

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 PM

Posted 08 October 2010 - 12:40 AM

Hi, I'm having bad interference coming out of the speakers after upgrading the memory from 4gb to 6gb. I can't understand
how ram upgrade will interfere with the sound card. They're not faulty sticks ( 2 OCZ SLI Ready Memory sticks 2gb each.) because by themselves,
they work fine, no issues. I ran memtest and it found nothing wrong. I used to have 4 1gb sticks of the same type (OCZ SLI Ready) for a total of 4gb in my system. Decided to upgrade to 6gb
by removing 2 1gb sticks and replacing them with 2 2gb sticks. The memory slots are arranged like so: 2gb 2gb 1gb 1gb. I even tried different combinations: 2 1 2 1 or 1 1 2 2. The interference
remains. No matter the combination of the memory sticks in the slots, the system reads 6gb and boots normally and I even can play my games. It's just the sound interference, the sound is choppy
at best. These are my system specs: RAM: OCZ SLI Ready OCZ2N800SR4GK 5-4-4 2.1v(2sticks), OCZ2N800SR2GK 4-4-4 2.1v(2sticks).
SoundCard: Creative X-FI Extreme Gamer

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 PM

Posted 08 October 2010 - 01:33 AM

Are you sure it is related to the memory sticks and not the possibility you might have pushed a power wire aside and in the process moved it closer to the sound card or on-board audio processor?

Also check the audio wires coming from the disk drives, you may have pushed one of those closer to a circuit that they are picking up electrical noise from. Including a cooling fan.

Bruce.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,810 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 AM

Posted 08 October 2010 - 04:45 AM

Is it an nForce motherboard? There have been many reported problems with the X-Fi on nForce boards, exacerbated by large amounts of memory.
Top 5 things that never get done:

#4 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2010 - 09:02 AM

Maybe try moving your speakers away from your computer.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#5 Plexiglass

Plexiglass
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2010 - 12:33 PM

Is it an nForce motherboard? There have been many reported problems with the X-Fi on nForce boards, exacerbated by large amounts of memory.

Yes, The motherborad is an ASUS M3N HD-HDMI n-Force 750a SLI (funny thing though, CPUID reads it as 740a SLI). Anyway, I never had any problem
with the sound card before. If I use 4gb with 2 sticks or 4gb with 4 sticks, the sound card works just fine. I wonder if it's the difference in their timing:
the 2gb's are 5-4-4 and the 1gb's are 4-4-4. Both at 2.1v. According to OCZ, the supported memory for this mobo are all 1.8v, but in the BIOS the voltage
settings don't go lower than 1.978v. I'm thinking of removing the sound card and try the onboard sound to see if that will work.

Thanks for your time :thumbsup:

#6 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 PM

Posted 08 October 2010 - 02:41 PM

Try putting the sound card in the lowest PCI slot
In the beginning there was the command line.

#7 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,810 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2010 - 06:53 PM

I expect you'll find the onboard sound is OK, most people find that. The crackling/popping effect seems to come into play when something is changed that increases bus utilization - more memory, different video card...

There's a huge discussion about the problem here:

http://forums.creative.com/t5/Sound-Blaste...251993/page/122

One thing you can try, to observe if bus latency is the cause, is DPC Latency Checker:

http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml

If it shows significantly higher latency with the larger memory complement, that would confirm the source.

I also second Eyesee's suggestion of using a different slot for the soundcard, if this is possible, to check for a resource conflict.

Edited by Platypus, 09 October 2010 - 11:42 PM.

#8 Plexiglass

Plexiglass
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2010 - 11:37 PM

I expect you'll find the onboard sound is OK, most people find that. The crackling/popping effect seems to come into play when something is changed that increases bus utilization - more memory, different video card...

There's a huge discussion about the problem here:

http://forums.creative.com/t5/Sound-Blaste...251993/page/122

One thing you can try, to observe if bus latency is the cause, is DPC Latency Checker:

http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml

If it shows significantly higher latency with the larger memory complement, that would confirm the source.

I also second Eyesee's suggestion of using a different slot for the soundcard, if this is possible, to check for a reource conflict.

The problem was bus latency. I tried DPC Latency Checker and every time I clicked on the volume slider in the system tray, the bus latency peeked at over 1400 micro seconds almost every time.
I downloaded new available drivers for the sound card but it didn't do anything. So I uninstalled the sound card drivers and the card itself. The onboard sound is working fine, and this motherboard has HD sound quality with suround capability so I'm not complaining.
Thank you for your suggestions it helped alot :thumbsup:

#9 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,810 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2010 - 11:44 PM

Glad it helped!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users