Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading the graphics card in a Dell c640

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 tincookie

tincookie

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 PM

Posted 07 October 2010 - 07:02 PM

I am taking my Dell c640 laptop to a tecnician tomorrow, to see if I can have the video card upgraded to 128mb memory from the 32mb memory that it already contains, is it possible to upgrade the video card? Any idea what this will cost? I am using Nero 9 and I am considering upgrading to version 10, this is why I want to upgrade the video card for video editing. I have heard that upgrading the standard RAM in the system will make video performance better, is this true? I already have 1GB of RAM installed in this machine.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 t3s

t3s

• Members
  • 628 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 PM

Posted 07 October 2010 - 07:15 PM

Yes it is possible.

I cannot tell you how much it would cost as I have not done it for money, but it would certainly be cheaper just to DIY it. Its not as hard as you may think.

RAM will help as well but the problem might be where your processor is. You can up your RAM and Video but if you have a slow processor it may not help as much as you would like.

“Technology does not drive change -- it enables change.”
-Unknown

"I'm a cannibal... I eat Crackers"

Hacker != Cracker

website is down until further notice. . . . 

#3 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 PM

Posted 07 October 2010 - 09:36 PM

The Dell Latitude C640 is a laptop and the graphics card is not upgradeable. However, updating RAM will certainly help if it is low to begin with. If the CPU is slow and old, performance may still be quite slow.

3939.png

#4 tincookie

tincookie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 PM

Posted 08 October 2010 - 04:32 AM

My CPU is 2GHZ.

#5 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 AM

Posted 11 October 2010 - 08:44 AM

The processor which is P4, should be Ok for it but i don't think it can handle HD video editing well.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users