Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Searching via IE8

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 willythecat

willythecat

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 PM

Posted 07 October 2010 - 05:47 PM

I'm sorry to say that l've lost it, my brain has died.
France has reloaded my system and i've been hours upon hours sorting their mistakes. Nearly there though.
Right, when l bring up IE, all that is is in the top right search panel is Bing. When l do a search through this all l get French addresses, although the http addresses don't seem to point to FR.
All l want is google as the main search provider but how do l add/change this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 PM

Posted 07 October 2010 - 09:21 PM

France has reloaded my system

France??

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 willythecat

willythecat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2010 - 02:30 AM

Yes Broni, although l didn't make it that clear, sorry.
My old external hdd containing all my years of backups finally died on me. My existing hardware was a bit archaic so l had a brand new system (hardware wise) built.
My old software used to be Windows 98 which l then got a Windows XP Home Upgrade Pack for.
The French guys took my old IDE HDD and tried to use this, together with the XP upgrade pack disk to load windows xp onto the new sata disk. They seemed to have real problems trying to put XP onto the new sata disk, but said they had eventually done it. Got the system back home and god knows what they've done. Yes XP is in English but it's nothing like my old setup.
IE was gone and l had Firefox in it's place which l don't want at the moment.
Got the IE icon from the windows directories onto my desktop, and now have IE as my browser. Everything seemed ok, it was all in English, but instead of having Google showing on the top right, it's just got Bing. When l type any search request in there, it just gives me answers relating to French sites only?
How do l replace this with Google and get search results back of global sites, not just France alone.
Hope this makes sense.

#4 willythecat

willythecat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2010 - 09:29 AM

Broni, it now seems fixed (fingers crosssed).
Bing was the default searcher, and whatever l typed in, it just showed me sites in France.
Have finally managed to delete this (it wouldn't let me before) and now have google installed which seems to be working.
Thanks anyway.
Regards
No doubt l'll be back when l hit another problem

#5 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 PM

Posted 08 October 2010 - 07:19 PM

Cool :thumbsup:
Self-help worked nicely :flowers:

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#6 JonM33

JonM33

• Banned
  • 503 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2010 - 10:32 AM

France has reloaded my system

France??

All your base are belong to us?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users