Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Second hard drive problems

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 PsychoShock

PsychoShock

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 PM

Posted 07 October 2010 - 04:28 PM

Hey guys, I'm new here, and have very limited experience with computers...but it seems I have messed up pretty badly.

So here is the story. I built my new computer and gave my cousin my old computer (HP a1230n running XP), and upgraded him to Windows 7 64 bit. All was going well, but last month, his computer would not start up without freezing with graphical glitches. I found out the Video card crapped out on him. For his birthday, I decided to buy him a premade iBuyPower NZXT. The thing is that I wanted to use the old harddrive from the old computer as the primary, instead of the one that came with the computer.

Without thinking, I booted up the computer, and it asked me for the Win 7 key posted on the side of the computer. I entered it in, and got Win 7 up and running. I turned off the computer and inserted the old harddrive in, and it started up fine. Everything looked good to go. My cousin took the computer back to his home, and was able to use it great for about 3 days. Then he calls me saying that Windows needed to be activated, and it wasn't genuine. Luckily, I had the key to the old OS with me still, and gave it to him...but he still couldn't activate it. He and his dad tried several things and called microsoft, and finally got it up and running.

NOW, here is the new problem. His dad told him to move all his files off of the old harddrive into the new one, and I believe he labeled all of the old programs from the old hard drive under the folder "Windows.old". The computer starts up fine. I am having much difficulty opening the C:\documents and settings though, as it tells me "C:\Documents and Settings is not accessible. Access is denied". I also tried opening Steam under program files (x86), but it tells me "Steam.exe (main exception) Unable to write to the current steam folder". In the Windows.old folder, Steam.exe opens perfectly. I am trying to reinstall it now, by removing it from the programs. But, I cannot find it in the install programs. It's not in the start menu either. None of the Windows.old programs are "installed", but they still work. Is there a way I can "uninstall" these programs? It might not technically matter, but I just don't want to have conflicting programs, or take up space that I don't need to.

Sorry if this is confusing!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 AM

Posted 07 October 2010 - 04:31 PM

What are you trying to remove using the control panel?

Unless the video card was integrated into the motherboard you could have simply replaced it.

#3 PsychoShock

PsychoShock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 PM

Posted 07 October 2010 - 04:52 PM

I'm trying to uninstall Microsoft Security Essentials, Firefox, Steam, iTunes, and AIM. I mean, for the most part, I can live with it. I just didn't know if you guys would recommend me doing anything to the Windows.old folder, since it takes up quite a bit of space.

And I could have replaced it, but I just wanted to try doing something for my cousin.

Thanks!

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 AM

Posted 07 October 2010 - 05:03 PM

Well you will have to reinstall all those applications again

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users