Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Help Diagnosing Slow Internet with Charter Cable

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 slyblackdragon

slyblackdragon

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 PM

Posted 07 October 2010 - 03:44 PM

I just had Charter hook up TV and internet in my new apartment. The technician used his laptop to run some tests and whatnot after it was hooked up, and said I should be averaging 8-10mbps (as I had purchased). He told me he was unable to hook up to my router and was only responsible for supplying a working internet connection, the networking I would have to do myself. This is fine with me. I got everything hooked up and if I go to speedtest.net, I am getting ~.44 mbps. This is terribly slow and I am very unhappy. Before I raise hell with Charter, I want to make sure there isn't something else that could be the problem.

Here is my setup:
cable from wall > cable modem (Scientific Atlanta 2100) > ethernet to router (Netgear WGR614 v9) > ethernet to Xbox 360/ wireless to 2 laptops

I don't know if there is something wrong with my setup or some settings I need to change in the router or modem, but this isn't going to work.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 slyblackdragon

slyblackdragon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 PM

Posted 07 October 2010 - 04:28 PM

As a side note I tried hooking my laptop up directly to the modem, but I couldn't get a connection. I kept getting an error about not being able to assign an IP address.

#3 chrisatbluescreen

chrisatbluescreen

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 PM

Posted 14 October 2010 - 06:36 PM

If your network is slow enough you're not getting a hardline connect to your laptop, and it isn't your laptop, then you should press them, read your installation receit and raise hell.
"What I cannot create, I do not understand"
Richard Feynman
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users