Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Image Errors and Download Problems

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 JeffroCDX

JeffroCDX

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 PM

Posted 07 October 2010 - 01:06 PM

Hello,
I am running XP Home on my PC and have recently started having some issues. Specifically, I am getting Image Error messages whenever I boot up and when I try to download some software and software updates and thus can't complete the download. When I boot up my PC, I get the following measges:

"{S44C6FB81-KBDWINDCLS-B4F7-lld4-9FDD-0800460222FO} Bad Image"

When I tried to download Logitech software from their website for a webcam. I kept getting the following error message:

"setup exe - Bad Image" as the header and "The application or DLL C:\WINDOWS32\CFGMGR32.dll is not a valid Windows Image. Please check this against your installation diskette" in the baox of the message.

I also tried to update Kodak Easyshare software and receive the following message:

"One or more DLL's could not be loaded: ESApp.dll"

Now I can't download any pictures from my camera.

The last issue I am having is with my Control Panel. When I click on Printers and Faxes, Scanners and Cameras, etc. There are no printers listed, no printer icons, no cameras listed, no camera icons, etc. even though my printer/copier/scanner works fine.

I have used ParetoLogic PC Health Advisor, SpyBot Search and Destroy, DriverCure, Error Fix, and a few others to try and fix these problems. Nothing helps.
I apologize for the long post but I am totally frustrated! Any suggestions would help.

Thanks
JeffroCDX

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,562 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 PM

Posted 07 October 2010 - 02:13 PM

I would try running the chkdsk /r command...the appropriate hard drive diagnostic...followed by the sfc /scannow command or a repair install of XP.

Bad image errors can be various things...file could be damaged, unreadable, could be malware, among examples I've seen.

Louis

#3 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 AM

Posted 07 October 2010 - 03:34 PM

Also don't use Error fix that is ineffective and it may further damage your computer.

Edited by hamluis, 07 October 2010 - 05:07 PM.
Removed unnecessary quote ~ Hamluis.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#4 JeffroCDX

JeffroCDX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 PM

Posted 07 October 2010 - 03:57 PM

Thanks Louis! Can you explain how I can perform the checks you suggest below?

"I would try running the chkdsk /r command...the appropriate hard drive diagnostic...followed by the sfc /scannow command or a repair install of XP."

I'm not real experienced in doing this stuff. Also, I ran a Hijack This log but really don't know what to look for.
Thanks for any help I can get!
JeffroCDX

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,562 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 PM

Posted 07 October 2010 - 05:20 PM

To run chkdsk /r: Start/Run...type chkdsk /r and hit Enter (note that there is a space between the k and /). On the new screen, type y and hit Enter. Reboot the system, the command will execute...upon completion, system will automatically boot into XP.

For the hard drive diagnostic...take a look in Device Manager under the detail for Disk Drives. Copy that data, use Google to see who the manufacturer is. Then read the following and download the appropriate diagnostic for your drive. Prepare it according to instructions. Change your boot options so that XP will boot from the CD/DVD drive first. Put the bootable CD you created in the drive, reboot the system...following the bouncing balls :thumbsup:. If a short test and a long test are offered, choose the long.

Bootable Hard Drive Diagnostics - Vox - http://usasma.vox.com/library/post/bootabl...iagnostics.html

How to write a CD-DVD image or ISO - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/write-a-cd-dvd-image-or-iso/

Last but not least, LEARN how to use SFC.EXE (system file checker) - http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html AND How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install (Stevens) - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm.

Please read the suggestions...before proceeding, not as many of us do while in our learn-by-doing mode :flowers:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users