Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows update site blocked

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Jellis1950

Jellis1950

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 AM

Posted 07 October 2010 - 12:46 PM

When launching windows update from control panel I get the following error when I click the Check fo Updates button "Code 80072EFE Windows update encountered an unknown error." When attempting to go directly to the windows update site in IE, I get the message "Internet Exlporer cannot display the webpage" Can anyone help me resolve this issue?

Something is keying on the keywords for the update stie and blocking access to sites.... I had to remove the url and the .com site in the post because acces to this site was blocked unitl I removed them. Any ideas?

Edited by Jellis1950, 07 October 2010 - 12:51 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 AM

Posted 07 October 2010 - 02:34 PM

Sound like you either are infected and have a proxy server set up by malware...or you have a proxy server set up by now-removed malware.

Open Internet Explorer...click the Tools/Internet Options.

Click the Connections tab/LAN settings button.

Louis

#3 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 07 October 2010 - 03:46 PM

Try using Dr Web Free Scanner, it pretty much clear most viruses from your computer. Here is the link to download it: http://www.freedrweb.com/cureit/
When it is scanning and it detects a virus it pop giving you options on what to do with the virus and then it will continue.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 AM

Posted 07 October 2010 - 07:59 PM

<<Try using Dr Web Free Scanner, it pretty much clear most viruses from your computer.>>

Sorry, but I always have to take issue with statements like this one.

There is no one product made by anyone, at any time...which is/was/will be capable of "clearing most viruses" from a system. I believe that fact has been hammered home time and again...by all those posters whose comments include noting that they had an AV program installed and updated. An AV program or any resemblance to such...is only one of several steps...that any user intending to protect/defend a system...employs.

Secondly...assuming that something "pretty much' clears ALL malware items that exist today...does that mean that it misses or is ineffective against "only a few" malware items? How many malware items belong in that group that isn't overcome/defensed? Are these the more virulent, harmful types of malware...are there rootkits and other virulent forms of malware included in that "most" group...or do they fall in the other group? What about malware enabling theft of personal identification, access to credit card and other financial info...are they in that "most" group or outside of it?

"Clearing most viruses" should not be the goal...keeping the system free of viruses by employing sound principles of system defense...seems like a more credible, satisfying goal to urge users to attain.

IMO...

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users