Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't adjust brightness

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 the duke7

the duke7

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 PM

Posted 07 October 2010 - 11:55 AM

Ok I've had vista for a long time, but I switched over to XP and everything is perfect except from one small detail that is kinda big for me.

I can't adjust the brightness in my laptop

In vista all I did was press fn left/right arrows to adjust it. And from what I know this is the way you do it in most laptops

Now in this XP I had to install all drivers. Specifically from this page http://www.laptop-software.com/acer-softwa...5738zg-drivers/

when I install the graphics driver, VGA intel driver for vista is the one that's used for my computer from that list, the brightness just goes to the max apparently and I can't use fn arrows to adjust it. I CAN use fn arrows up and down to adjust the volume so there is definitely something fishy here.

If I uninstall the driver I can use fn to adjust the brightness normally so I know the problem is when I install the driver

this brightness is driving me crazy! the driver bring something called Intel Graphic Media Accelerator which has an option for brightness, but it seems as if that's a different type of brightness cause it just makes the screen duller. You can actually still see a lot of brightness coming out from the computer but the screen is very dull. And it still damages my eyes

any help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 PM

Posted 07 October 2010 - 01:29 PM

Please perform the following, so that we can get the exact specs of your computer. This will better assist us in helping you more.

Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

The below is for those who cannot get online

Please take caution when attaching a text file to your post if you cannot copy/paste the link to your post, you will need to edit it to make sure that your Windows Key is not present.

#3 the duke7

the duke7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2010 - 09:53 PM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/4m9LWqVbSzdiPfjIHZS4yMx

#4 Gabrial

Gabrial

• Members
  • 468 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2010 - 11:56 AM

This seems to be somewhat of a common issue. You need to find and install the "Launch Manager" software for your Acer system. The software seems to be compatible with Vista and XP. Cross your fingers.

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 PM

Posted 10 October 2010 - 01:41 PM

Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows XP* (exe) a very recent driver try and update it.

#6 the duke7

the duke7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2010 - 07:26 PM

Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows XP* (exe) a very recent driver try and update it.

I tried it but still nothing. I left it installed anyway, probably just a more recent driver than the one I have

This seems to be somewhat of a common issue. You need to find and install the "Launch Manager" software for your Acer system. The software seems to be compatible with Vista and XP. Cross your fingers.

I downloaded the launch manager from the same link of drivers in my first post but still nothing. And I tried opening the program LaunchManager.exe but it doesn't open for some reason :thumbsup: . Any help there?

I do remember having the launch manager in Vista though so the problem could lie there. Another program I remember having that I can't find here is the Acer E Power Management. I remember I could go there too and manually adjust the brightness just as I could with fn arrows.

I googled it and came to this page that also has other versions of the Launch Manager but when I tried to download one it says webpage can't be found :l

this is the page
http://www.giveawayoftheday.com/acer+5738g...nager+m+driver/

Thanks for the responses btw :flowers:

Edited by the duke7, 11 October 2010 - 07:26 PM.

#7 the duke7

the duke7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2010 - 01:05 PM

Ok, so I also figured that if I get the Acer EPower Management I could easily adjust the LCD brightness. I remember the program has an option to manually do that

I searched the web for a download and it was hard to find one, for some reason some downloads just link me to acer.com website and nowhere to download from. Others just don't work

I found one and was about to install it and it says I need to install Acer empowering technology framework 2.0 first. Now this I can't seem to find a download of. Some links are fake, others won't open, others again link me to acer's homepage.

This is getting frustrating! Something like adjusting my LCD brightness shouldn't be this complicated!

any ideas? help finding that framework??

Edited by the duke7, 12 October 2010 - 01:06 PM.

#8 Gabrial

Gabrial

• Members
  • 468 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2010 - 10:02 PM

What is your system model?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users