Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Repair won't complete

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Jamie57

Jamie57

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 PM

Posted 07 October 2010 - 10:37 AM

I'll give you the back ground that got me to this point.
Wife's Compaq Presario with an AMD Athlon Xp chip was starting to shut down and restart on it's own.
Kept doing it even when I took out the harddrive.
Must be a hardware issue and I tried just about everything including replacing the CPU with a known good one.
No joy so I moved on.
I have another Compaq Presario I inherited sitting around gathering dust.
It's an Intel based system otherwise the 2 computers were twins.
I removed the HD from the AMD and installed it in the Intel.
I now started to run a slipstreamed SP3 XP disc to do the standard repair, so I could get the system running.
I really want to keep hers going as she has a lot of games etc that she has downloaded off the net that she really enjoys.
It would be an extreme PITA to have to reinstall all of that.
So now we get to the problem

I can get it to the point where windows says that "This copy of Windows must be activated with Microsoft before you can logon. Do you want to activate Windows now"
I of course click yes. If pauses for a moment flashes to her desktop Picture (Hurray!) then i get a box that reads
"msfeedssync.exe - Application Error
The instruction at "0x7e4195c8" referenced memory at "0x00000048" The memory cannot be "read"
Click OK to terminate the program
Click on Cancel to debug the program.

Neither option will do much. it just keeps popping up and wanting me to send the error report to Microsoft, which surprising enough actually completes as OK.

New sysmptom. didn't even get to answer the activate screen this time before the application error.

I now leave this problem in your quite capable hands gentle persons.
I will answer any questions I am capable of at your request. :thumbsup:
I really need to get this system working as my wife's life on facebook is suffering.
You know what they say. Happy wife Happy me!

P.S. I have Bart PE with a version of XP SP3 on it if that will help.

Edited by hamluis, 07 October 2010 - 01:35 PM.
Moved from XP to Am I Infected ~ Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sbdblyss

sbdblyss

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 PM

Posted 07 October 2010 - 10:46 AM

It sounds to me like there are problems beyond the operating system. It's possible that other applications that are installed in the operating system are causing it not to boot completely. Have you tried booting into safe mode? If you can get into safe mode, try modifying the startup list. Keep us posted!

Start->Run->type "msconfig" (without quotes)
Startup Tab->Un-check all applications (except anti-virus)

Jake

Edited by sbdblyss, 07 October 2010 - 10:48 AM.

My mind isn't quite sure what it has bargained for, but my heart is in time with, with the consistency of Your's.

#3 sbdblyss

sbdblyss

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2010 - 10:54 AM

Some interesting information on msfeedssync.exe (from google)

- Microsoft Feeds Synchronization task found on PCs with Internet Explorer 7 and which automatic RSS Feeds synchronization turned ON. This task starts up at the intervals specified in Internet Explorer 7 and checks for updates to your RSS feeds. Once it has updated your RSS feeds, it terminates.

Jake
My mind isn't quite sure what it has bargained for, but my heart is in time with, with the consistency of Your's.

#4 Jamie57

Jamie57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2010 - 11:01 AM

It sounds to me like there are problems beyond the operating system. It's possible that other applications that are installed in the operating system are causing it not to boot completely. Have you tried booting into safe mode? If you can get into safe mode, try modifying the startup list. Keep us posted!

Start->Run->type "msconfig" (without quotes)
Startup Tab->Un-check all applications (except anti-virus)

Jake

Tried safe mode. went into msconfig and clicked on Diagnostic startup.
nothing in menu start up but logitec setpoint so I left it.

Now I get to that lovely desktop picture and a mouse pointer and nothing else.
No dialog boxes, no icons, no start up menu nothing at all but the picture and the mouse pointer.
well it's a start I quess. :thumbsup:

And Control Alt delete will not bring up the task manager.

Edited by Jamie57, 07 October 2010 - 11:04 AM.

#5 Jamie57

Jamie57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2010 - 11:03 AM

Some interesting information on msfeedssync.exe (from google)

- Microsoft Feeds Synchronization task found on PCs with Internet Explorer 7 and which automatic RSS Feeds synchronization turned ON. This task starts up at the intervals specified in Internet Explorer 7 and checks for updates to your RSS feeds. Once it has updated your RSS feeds, it terminates.

Jake

Don't you have to start up IE 7 first? I haven't even had a chance to activate this copy of XP yet.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2010 - 11:04 AM

When you take a hdd with a Windows OS installed on it that you have been using on one computer and then install it as a master in another computer you are asking for major problems. The excerpt below is from a Intel article which describes in detail what happens. The article also mentions a reference to an article by Microsoft, it can be seen here .

"Moving a hard drive with Windows* 2000 or Windows XP* already installed to a new motherboard without reinstalling the operating system is not recommended.

If a hard drive is moved to a new computer, the registry entries and drivers for the mass storage controller hardware on the new motherboard are not installed in Windows for the new computer and you may not be able to start Windows. This is documented in Microsoft's knowledge base article. This is true even if you move the hard drive to a motherboard with the same chipset, as different hardware revisions can cause this issue as well.

Additionally, moving a hard drive to a new motherboard may not exhibit any errors until you install new IDE drivers. This is because each chipset uses a different Plug-n-Play (PNP) ID to identify it. If you move your motherboard, your registry will have multiple PNP IDs (for the old hardware as well as the new hardware). If there are multiple entries in the registry, Windows cannot determine which hardware to initialize and therefore fails with a STOP error."

Alternatively, the method below can be tried, but I would back up all of your important files to removable media like CDs, DVDs, Flash drives, or a second hdd.

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 Jamie57

Jamie57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2010 - 11:20 AM

When you take a hdd with a Windows OS installed on it that you have been using on one computer and then install it as a master in another computer you are asking for major problems. The excerpt below is from a Intel article which describes in detail what happens. The article also mentions a reference to an article by Microsoft, it can be seen here .

"Moving a hard drive with Windows* 2000 or Windows XP* already installed to a new motherboard without reinstalling the operating system is not recommended.

If a hard drive is moved to a new computer, the registry entries and drivers for the mass storage controller hardware on the new motherboard are not installed in Windows for the new computer and you may not be able to start Windows. This is documented in Microsoft's knowledge base article. This is true even if you move the hard drive to a motherboard with the same chipset, as different hardware revisions can cause this issue as well.

Additionally, moving a hard drive to a new motherboard may not exhibit any errors until you install new IDE drivers. This is because each chipset uses a different Plug-n-Play (PNP) ID to identify it. If you move your motherboard, your registry will have multiple PNP IDs (for the old hardware as well as the new hardware). If there are multiple entries in the registry, Windows cannot determine which hardware to initialize and therefore fails with a STOP error."

Alternatively, the method below can be tried, but I would back up all of your important files to removable media like CDs, DVDs, Flash drives, or a second hdd.

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html

I'm sorry if I didn't make it very clear in the first message that I'm doing this as a last resort and that I am also doing VERBATUM to the link referenced.
This isn't my first time doing this but it is my first time running into the problems I am currently facing.
It's been my understanding that the repair does correct for the differences in chipsets etc.
At least it has in the last 4 times I've done it.
Am I wrong?

Edited by Jamie57, 07 October 2010 - 11:22 AM.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2010 - 11:27 AM

Additionally, moving a hard drive to a new motherboard may not exhibit any errors until you install new IDE drivers

Edited by dc3, 07 October 2010 - 11:34 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 Jamie57

Jamie57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2010 - 11:36 AM

As the article states, the is the chance that you will need to reinstall the operating system. That is all I'm pointing out.

I'm sorry but I'm really confused.
Isn't that what is happening when I do the "Repair"?
From everthing I've been able to read on this the only difference is that I get to keep all my settings and programs that were installed.
Otherwise I would have just wiped the drive and done a fresh install and saved my self all this grief.
Unless I'm missing something bigtime.

#10 sbdblyss

sbdblyss

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2010 - 11:49 AM

IE7 or any Internet Explorer install is very integrated throughout the OS which can cause issues like you are experiencing. I am trying to find out whether this msfeedssync.exe application is attached to a service. If so, we may be able to disable that service, set the startup back to normal (instead of diagnostic), and boot into the OS.

As for a repair, it is not a reinstall. It does load most of the default OS files, but it does not replace the registry, except for specific values based on the service pack level of your installation media.

Since you can access safe mode, try uninstalling any drivers that were associated with the old machine. If you can access Internet Explorer, attempt to set everything to default through the Internet Options - > Advanced tab. You can also access internet options through the control panel.

Jake

#11 sbdblyss

sbdblyss

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2010 - 11:52 AM

How to distable msfeedsync in IE7 / IE8

1. Go to Control Panel.
2. Double-click Internet Options.
3. Click Content tab.
4. Click the Settings button under Feeds.
5. Uncheck Automatically check feeds for updates and Click OK

Source: http://www.webisee.com/2008/10/21/msfeedss...ble-in-ie7-ie8/

These are just ideas. I do believe you will arrive at having to completely re-install Windows. dc3's post is very relevant to your situation. Sorry for the bad news :-/

Jake

Edited by sbdblyss, 07 October 2010 - 11:55 AM.

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2010 - 11:54 AM

I edited my post because that wasn't what had been stated in the article. What is does say is that the operating system may not start. You did what the MichaelStevenstech article suggested, to boot from the CD and attempt a repair installation. The bottom line is that this technique doesn't always work.

#13 Jamie57

Jamie57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2010 - 03:11 PM

How to distable msfeedsync in IE7 / IE8

1. Go to Control Panel.
2. Double-click Internet Options.
3. Click Content tab.
4. Click the Settings button under Feeds.
5. Uncheck Automatically check feeds for updates and Click OK

Source: http://www.webisee.com/2008/10/21/msfeedss...ble-in-ie7-ie8/

These are just ideas. I do believe you will arrive at having to completely re-install Windows. dc3's post is very relevant to your situation. Sorry for the bad news :-/

Jake

I can get to internet options and then the content tab but the only things there content advisor (which has a settings button greyed out) Certificates and personal information.
I believe that is found under the Advanced Tab. Under browsing the box for automatically checking for updates is unchecked.

#14 Jamie57

Jamie57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2010 - 03:13 PM

I edited my post because that wasn't what had been stated in the article. What is does say is that the operating system may not start. You did what the MichaelStevenstech article suggested, to boot from the CD and attempt a repair installation. The bottom line is that this technique doesn't always work.

I refuse to give up. I'm sure it can be done. It's trying to work. It just needs a nudge or two.

And why has this been moved to Am I infected?

At no point did I every think it was a virus and No one else has mentioned the possibility.
This system was CLEAN. I am anal about that.

Edited by Jamie57, 07 October 2010 - 03:27 PM.

#15 Jamie57

Jamie57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2010 - 09:19 AM

Can anyone explain why this was moved to Am I infected?

Does someone know something they're not telling me?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users