Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Frozen mouse when booting using Broadband Modem

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 John Bull

John Bull

• Banned
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 AM

Posted 07 October 2010 - 10:32 AM

I don`t know whether this is the right section to put this point, but here goes.

I realise that a "Frozen Mouse" problem can be complex when a computer, keyboard, monitor and mouse are involved, including dirty fan and location to other power sources etc. There is a vast amount of information on the net about it. A career awaits.

My post is simply to point out that connected to Broadband with a Modem introduces another factor into the equation and to say what happens in my case. I have a Virgin Cable Broadband fibre optic supply, connected via a Modem.

A Frozen mouse occasionally occurs when starting up or after a long time on Hibernation. It does not occur often with my set up, but it does.

The first thing to do when using a Modem, is to make that your prime target. Modems do get the wobbles at times, they are not faulty, just doing what many electronic devices do at times and need de-energising. It is a common factor, which is why a RESET switch is always provided with electrical apparatus.

So, my post is simply to outline what I do first and it has never failed to cure the problem. Restarting the computer does not cure anything, the mouse is still frozen when the screen returns. I have to pull out the wall plug and cut the power. Wait 20-30 seconds, then plug back in and start up the PC. This ALWAYS cures the frozen mouse problem as described in this post. The power cut practice is standard advice from Virgin for Modem problems and also TV set-top box problems.

The Modem is UPSTREAM of the computer, so a tiny hiccup in that equipment will not be cured by tampering around with the computer set up or by rebooting. To meddle around with the computer side of things without trying a power cut will only result in tears and achieve nothing if it is the Modem giving the trouble.

OK one could say the Modem is faulty. It may well be, but to go through all the trouble of installing a new Modem with the re-registration and so on is completely unnecessary for routine circuit saturation problems. Obviously if this kind of problem becomes a nuisance, then a new Modem it is.

Edited by Andrew, 11 October 2010 - 05:06 PM.
Mod Edit: Moved from Tips&Tricks - AA

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 PM

Posted 08 October 2010 - 02:51 PM

Thanks for the info John

One would not think that a modem would cause a frozen mouse.
I am having a hard time wrapping my puny little brain around that!
In the beginning there was the command line.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users