Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Persistent Proxy Selected - Windows 7 with roaming profile

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Pmeadows123

Pmeadows123

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 AM

Posted 07 October 2010 - 10:02 AM

Hello,

I have a user that is running windows 7 x64 using a roaming profile and he keeps noticing that his proxy is checked in IE. I had him uncheck it and logoff and machine but the setting came back. I had him logon to another windows 7 workstation and the setting was enabled there as well telling me that this is something in his roaming profile. Where in a Windows 7 roaming profile are the proxy settings for IE? Thank you for the advice.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 AM

Posted 07 October 2010 - 11:22 AM

See if this is what you are looking for.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Pmeadows123

Pmeadows123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2010 - 11:55 AM

Would that work for a Windows 7 user profile?

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2010 - 09:48 AM

My apologies, UPHC is incorporated in Vista and Windows 7.

I will do some more searching and see what I can come up with. There is an article on changing the roaming profile which may be of use. The applicable part begins at the bottom of page 13. The link below is for a download of this article from Download Microsoft.com

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=...Hv8KY6wII1yip2g

Edited by dc3, 08 October 2010 - 09:49 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Pmeadows123

Pmeadows123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2010 - 11:26 AM

So I reapplied permissions on the roaming profile on the server down to all child objects for that user, had him delect the proxy in IE and remove any registry entries in HKCU referring to the proxy server. He then rebooted and logged back on to see that the proxy was this time deselected in IE. Let's hope that it sticks! I'll know if a few days for sure.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2010 - 12:00 PM

I'll keep my fingers crossed.

#7 Pmeadows123

Pmeadows123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2010 - 01:28 PM

Looks like it came back. This time the user did not logoff or reboot and it magically returned. I'm leaning towards an application making the change in IE but not sure which one.

#8 Pmeadows123

Pmeadows123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2010 - 07:04 AM

The issue was caused by the thinkvantage access connections utility. Seems that when this user switched to the wifi profile, it was setting the proxy. Case closed.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2010 - 10:10 AM

Glad to see you figured it out. Interesting problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users