Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Clarification regarding sound cards & speakers

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Xantalen

Xantalen

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 PM

Posted 07 October 2010 - 09:51 AM

Hi,

I currently have a 2.1 speaker set up from some brand that I've really never heard of and couldn't find anything about on the web. I honestly don't know very much at all regarding audio when it comes to computers, only that I know there's definitely better sound to be heard. I had the same crappy 2.0 system for over 10 years, and have only had these for like a year and a half. Anyway, I've been looking into buying some new speakers. I've been considering getting:these, as I've heard some good things about them, especially because I hear the sub is awesome.

With the speakers now taken care of, I've been wondering something about sound cards. At what point would I have reason to purchase a sound card? I currently have the onboard Realtek HD stuff that came with the board. I'm not quite sure what I would get out of buying a sound card, and which one I should buy. I've only bought one in my life, and it was an Audigy some years ago for an old computer.

Help is much appreciated :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 PM

Posted 07 October 2010 - 12:19 PM

Speaker wise, all I use are logitech-they make excellent quality computer speakers, been using the same 6.1 setup for like 5 years now no problems and those look like a decent setup to me. However, as far as sound cards go, theres no need to upgrade, unless you do some major sound editing, in which case I would recomend some better speakers, with the speakers you have now, that while theyre decent are not high end, and the onboard sound you have is more then sufficient to run them, a sound card would be a waste of money in my opinion.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 Xantalen

Xantalen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2010 - 12:36 PM

Thanks for the input. I certainly do love Logitech myself, never had an issue w/ any of their products. Good to know that I've made a good decision about what I want. I'd go for a more elaborate set up (5.1 or something), but I haven't got a place to put the additional speakers.

As far as a sound card goes, what would be a reason to get one (for someone who needs it?)

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2010 - 12:54 PM

well, if one was reeeallly into gaming or hi definition, I could see one then, though I do a lot of gaming and have surround sound and my onboard does me fine, people who are real performance freaks (like a video card, a dedicated sound card will take some of the work off the CPU increasing performance, though in most cases, like yours its so miniscule its not even funny) but it would be most practical if you did a lot of say sound recording, movie/music editing, DJing, stuff like that.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#5 Xantalen

Xantalen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2010 - 06:56 PM

Yeah I'm pretty into gaming and whatnot, certainly not to the point where I need ever ounce of performance phsyically possible. That's what my overclock was for lol. Thanks for all the information. It's something that I've been curious about for a long time and haven't looked into it. btw, my current speakers are Miyako if that name means anything to you.

#6 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2010 - 07:30 PM

Never heard of it lol. lol I have several brands laying around but the only ones Im using right now are logitech ones. Think I have some polk audio somewhere, some emachines. . .but the only ones I use I have a logitech surround sound on my primary computer and some low end logitech speakers for my linux box. :D

picard5.jpg

#7 Xantalen

Xantalen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2010 - 02:17 AM

lol yeah I didn't expect you to have heard of it. Thanks to direct deposit, I got my money a couple hours ago and I've just ordered them through Amazon. Thanks to the 1 year free Prime membership because I'm a student, I had it set to arrive on Saturday for an amazing deal of only $3.99 more, bringing the grand total to $118 and change, beating out Newegg. I <3 Amazon

#8 Xantalen

Xantalen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2010 - 04:27 PM

Update

To anyone that cares, I received my speakers via FedEx this morning at an insanely early 4:57A.M.. I woke up a little later than I should have for work, so I wasn't able to do more than bring the box upstairs (which by the way, is huge. Like the size of my Antec 1200 case big. When I get home, I'll be setting them up, and I'll post again when I have my impressions of it, which will hopefully be great.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users