Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is my HDD dying?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 mb3ll

mb3ll

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 PM

Posted 07 October 2010 - 08:22 AM

OK. Here's the problem:

I go to turn on my computer the other day and it is going sooooo slow its ridiculous and it eventually hangs altogether (this happens three times). I remove some of my startup programs using msconfig thinking I've possibly just overloaded my system tray (though I like to keep my system tray pretty slim). I remove some unimportant vanity programs and everything is peachy again. It's running smooth and fast.

I feel like something new so I get rid of AVG and install Avast! Free 5 (not sure this has any relation at all, but I want to include all).

It finds three viruses in my System32 (which is weird because I wasn't experiencing any problems). They are named: luyijetu.exe, reditha.dll, and siwadofa.dll. I quarantine them and move on and everything is still working great, right?

Wrong.

The next day I wake up and go to the computer, which has a black screen. I turn the computer off and back on (hard reset) and hear it -- the click of death -- it's steady click is quite chilling. The black screen now has some white text saying it is having trouble locating Windows Vista. In agony I try over and over to boot up my computer ... and it EVENTUALLY works. It's back to running smooth again. I hurry and make back ups of EVERYTHING.

Now the problem is that when I come to my computer in the morning it's always suuuuuuper slow. SO much so that I have to do a hard reset. When it boots back up it works fine (I'm using it now). Is this just another symptom of a failing hard drive or is something else going on here? I leave my computer idle all day and come home from work and it works fine, so what is happening overnight?

Can you guys recommend any programs that could tell me if I've got a problem with the harddrive. I ran checkdisk and it found no problems and no bad sectors.

Is it possible that the quarantining of the three aforementioned items in my system32 could be causing these problems (I know its a stretch)?

Please don't die harddrive! P - L - E - A - S - E! At least until Christmas when I have a new computer and the money to buy another HDD.

EDIT: My computer, a Toshiba Satellite Laptop, is nearing its 8th birthday. I had a new harddrive put in after the first year, due to one dying on me (lucky for me it was under warranty then).

Edited by mb3ll, 07 October 2010 - 08:29 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 GMmasterking

GMmasterking

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 PM

Posted 07 October 2010 - 08:44 AM

You can use HDD Observer Trial http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Hard-D...-Observer.shtml it is a very good program for HDD diagnostic.
Posted Image

#3 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2010 - 09:01 AM

Do you know the manufacturer of the hard drive.

Go into Device Manager. Click on the x next to Disk drives and post the name\series of letters and numbers shown. We can look up the OEM`s diagnostic tool designed to test it.

Most offer a tool that is burned to a CD and run`s at start-up. This will give us a better idea on the condition without needing to stress it much more.

Excellent move in backing up your data. That is one less thing we will not need to worry about should it be a hard drive failure.

If the drive does pass then you may be in for a little trip over to the Am I Infected forum.

#4 mb3ll

mb3ll
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2010 - 10:07 AM

Thanks for the help. It is a Toshiba MK4032GSX ATA Device.

#5 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2010 - 10:16 AM

Here are the tools offered by Toshiba.

Either the Windows Diagnostic Tool Ver. 1.12 (For IDE/ATA/SATA Hard Drives) if you are able to get the Machine running or DOS Diagnostic Tool Ver. 7.0 (For IDE/ATA/SATA Hard Drives) if you want to run from DOS\boot from CD.

The second one need`s to be burned as an .iso. If you want to go with that option but are not familiar with burning an .iso then please ask and further instructions can be provided.

#6 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 AM

Posted 07 October 2010 - 10:27 AM

I think you hardrive is fine...
but your Operating System (windows) is corrupted during the virus attack...

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#7 mb3ll

mb3ll
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2010 - 08:33 AM

Well. It's day 2 of trying to deal with this problem and I appreciate the help so far. Odd things with the diagnostic tools offered by Toshiba. The one ran from Windows would detect the HDD but wouldn't let me select it to be scanned. The DOS version just flat out wouldn't detect it. I'm on the subject computer right now, as I've said, and (again) this morning I came to a computer that wouldn't load anything. So I do a hard restart and, just like yesterday, everything is fine again. I'm going to give Observer a try and I'll let you all know the results. I've also heard Seagate diagnostic tools sometimes can pick up other drives?

EDIT: Observer didn't really have anything that I couldn't have done without it. As I said before, I've already ran the Windows Checkdisk utility and no problems were detected. Maybe try Seagate Diagnostic Utility?

Edited by mb3ll, 08 October 2010 - 09:00 AM.

#8 mb3ll

mb3ll
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2010 - 09:04 AM

I think you hardrive is fine...
but your Operating System (windows) is corrupted during the virus attack...

Any ideas on what to do then? Is it possible that the files quarantined by Avast are NOT viruses and that may be causing the problem?

#9 mb3ll

mb3ll
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2010 - 09:11 AM

OK. Seagate's SeaTools found my drive and I'm about to scan. Will post results asap. I'm assuming I should do a long drive self test.

EDIT:
SMART Scan: Passed
SHORT DRIVE SELF TEST: Passed
LONG DRIVE SELF TEST: Passed
SHORT GENERIC: Passed

LONG GENERIC: FAILED <---- Think we've found the culprit? (Although I just read that sometimes this test fails on good drives)

I'm going to go ahead and run the windows error checking utility and do auto-repairs to see if it helps. Wish me luck.

Edited by mb3ll, 08 October 2010 - 10:15 AM.

#10 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2010 - 10:28 AM

Good Afternoon mb3ll

Sorry to hear it seem`s we are not getting anywhere. I was a little slow in getting to my keyboard this morning thus the reason for my delayed response.

Let the long test finish and let us know the results. It is a very good possibility it is as abauw stated and you mentioned regarding an infection and the files quarantined. It may be one of several things. The files are actually fine. This is what is known as an FP = False Positive. Or, they could be system files that are infected and needed quarantined, but it could also explain the odd behavior. Or, they are the infection, Avast rightly quarantined them but the damage was done.

Once we get the results from the hard drive test, if it passes, looks like you may be in for a trip to the Am I Infected forum as your next step.

EDIT; Just saw your edit. Let us know what happens. You are following all the right trouble shooting procedures IMO.

Good Luck.

Edited by ThunderZ, 08 October 2010 - 10:31 AM.

#11 mb3ll

mb3ll
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2010 - 05:45 PM

Thanks for the help ThunderZ and everyone else. Windows Error Checking utility found a few problems and fixed them. However, the Generic Long Drive scan in Seagate is still failing (and is still the only scan my drive is failing). :thumbsup:

I guess we'll find out in the morning (if my computer has the same behavior or not) if the scan was enough to fix the problem. If so, great. If not, then I'm probably gonna head on over to the Am I infected thread, as you've mentioned?

Any other ideas in the meantime are welcome!

On another note it's Friday and I'm heading to the pub! Cheers!

#12 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2010 - 05:49 PM

Keep us posted

Enjoy your weekend.

#13 mb3ll

mb3ll
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2010 - 09:01 AM

Computer didn't behave strangely this morning as it has been. Looks like the error checking and repair utility did its job. Thanks for your help again!

#14 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2010 - 10:23 AM

Glad we were able to help. Will keep fingers crossed that the problem is solved.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users