Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Samsung NC10 Boot Problems - Virus caused ??

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
65 replies to this topic

#1 Ian MacK

Ian MacK

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 PM

Posted 07 October 2010 - 05:01 AM

Unable to boot Samsung NC10 - help please ! ? ! ?

My special friend's NC10 contracted a virus when she opened an e-mail attachment.

I tried uploading various anti-virus software (e.g. AVG etc) from memory stick but the virus didn't allow the software to load properly.

She then managed to download a trial version of Norton AV from internet which seemed to go OK and possibly cleared the virus, but then on system restrat will not boot up properly.

During boot it will go through the Windows XP start-up, shows the Windows screen with 'user' profile 'button' and then goes straight to "Windows logging off" and shuts down.

I have tried F2, F8 and F12 and start in various modes but seems to make little difference - get 'User' profile button and 'Administrator' profile button but same sequence to Windows logging off.

Am unsure whether this is a virus problem or an operating system problem but will start here anyway.

Would really appreciate any help - the netbook has a collection of music and more importantly family pics with no back-up !!

Thanks

Ian MacK

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 etavares

etavares

Bleepin' Remover

• Malware Response Team
  • 15,514 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 PM

Posted 16 October 2010 - 07:26 AM

My name is etavares and I will be helping you with this log.

Here are some guidelines to ensure we are able to get your machine back under your control.
  • Please do not run any unsupervised scans, fixes, etc. We can work against each other and end up in a worse place.
  • Please subscribe to this topic if you have not already done so. Please check back just in case, as the email system can fail at times.
  • Just because your machine is running better does not mean it is completely cleaned. Please wait for the 'all clear' from me to say when we are done.
  • Please reply within 3 days to be fair to other people asking for help.
  • When in doubt, please stop and ask first. There's no harm in asking questions!

Do you still need help? Please reply back and let me know. It sounds like a corrupted registry entry we can fix.

If I don't respond within 2 days, please feel free to PM me.
Please don't ask for help via PM. The forums are there for a reason. Please post in the forums so others may benefit as well.

Posted Image
Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

#3 Ian MacK

Ian MacK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2010 - 11:31 AM

Hi Etavares

Yes, we still have the problem and cannot access the Netbook directories etc.

What I probably need to do is get the Netbook from my special friend and keep it at my office until we have fully fixed the problem - that way she can't tinker when we're not looking !!

Thanks for your help.

Ian MacK

#4 etavares

etavares

Bleepin' Remover

• Malware Response Team
  • 15,514 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2010 - 05:23 PM

No problem. We'll also need a flash drive to donate to the cause for this one. It was likely a registry entry that was improperly fixed so we'll have to boot it up outside of windows...unless if you press F8 to get into Safe mode:

1. Are you able to boot up into Safe mode?
2. If not, there's a slim chance you have a "recovery console" menu item...is one there?

Please don't ask for help via PM. The forums are there for a reason. Please post in the forums so others may benefit as well.

Posted Image

#5 Ian MacK

Ian MacK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2010 - 10:32 AM

Etavares

I will 'take custody' of the netbook on Monday evening / Tuesday morning UK time so will get back to you early next week.

Have a great weekend !!

Ian Mack

#6 etavares

etavares

Bleepin' Remover

• Malware Response Team
  • 15,514 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2010 - 05:57 PM

OK, sounds good. Have a great weekend!

Posted Image

#7 Ian MacK

Ian MacK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2010 - 09:02 AM

Hi Etavares

I now have possession of the Netbook. I booted using F8 and have the Windows 'Safe' screen which gives the following options :
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Windows Advanced Options Menu
Please select an option :

Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Command Prompt

Enable Boot Logging
Enable VGA Mode
Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked)
Directory Services Restore Mode (Windows Domain Controllers only)
Debugging Mode
Disable automatic restarton system failure

Start Windows normally
Reboot
Return to OS Choices menu
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I also have a USB memory stick available so am ready to follow your instructions

Ian MacK

#8 Ian MacK

Ian MacK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2010 - 09:13 AM

Etavares

An update (as I am in UK then I am several hours ahead of USA (New York + 5 hours)

From the options below I took 'Safe Mode'

The netbook then displayed a blue screen with Windows version text along the topmost screen line and the text "Safe Mode" in all four corners of the screen.

It then went to Windows 'Welcome' screen with both Administrator and User 'picture' options.

Taking either / both has the same results - Text displayed = "Loading your personal settings" then immediately after "Saving your personal settings"
so no progress past Windows Welcome screen.

Ian MacK

#9 Ian MacK

Ian MacK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2010 - 09:24 AM

Etavares

Another update.

I rebooted Netbook, this time taking F2 option and have Phoenix TrustedCore™ Setup Utility with sub-pages for Main; Advanced; Security; Boot [boot device priority]; Exit.
I have not amended any details nor taken any option here.

Ian MacK

#10 Ian MacK

Ian MacK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2010 - 09:45 AM

Etavares

Last update.

I rebooted Netbook, this time holding F12 option and have Yukon PXE v6.22 Preboot Execution Environment

On the same screen it then displays text "Media test failure - check cable" ...................... ??

It then loads Windows XP and then goes to Windows 'Welcome' screen with only the User picture option.

I took the User option, it displays the text "Loading your personal settings", then briefly shows the screensaver screen before diplaying text "Logging off" followed rapidly by "Saving your personal settings". So again no progress past Windows Welcome screen.

Ian MacK

#11 etavares

etavares

Bleepin' Remover

• Malware Response Team
  • 15,514 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2010 - 04:27 PM

OK, my best diagnosis at this point is that the registry is corrupted. Viruses often modify a specific entry and give this log-on/log-off loop if they're not correctly fixed. Looks like the A/V didn't complete the job. Do you have a windows CD we can use for this? We can do with a linux if we have to, but modifying a remote registry is a lot easier/safer through a Windows environment. If you do, I'll give you instructions to create a bootable Windows CD with specific registry tools. If not, we'll go the more painful Linux route.

Posted Image

#12 Ian MacK

Ian MacK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2010 - 01:37 AM

Hi Etavares

Being a Netbook there is no CD drive (or Cds etc supplied with the unit). Only option is to boot via a USB memory stick if you tell me what to load on it.

Ian MacK

#13 etavares

etavares

Bleepin' Remover

• Malware Response Team
  • 15,514 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2010 - 06:35 PM

Hello, Ian MacK.
Try this please. You will need a USB drive.

Download http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/unetbootin-xpud-windows-latest.exe & http://noahdfear.net/downloads/bootable/xPUD/xpud-0.9.2.iso to the desktop of your clean computer
  • Insert your USB drive
  • Press Start > My Computer > right click your USB drive > choose Format > Quick format
  • Double click the unetbootin-xpud-windows-387.exe that you just downloaded
  • Press Run then OK
  • Select the DiskImage option then click the browse button located on the right side of the textbox field.
  • Browse to and select the xpud-0.9.2.iso file you downloaded
  • Verify the correct drive letter is selected for your USB device then click OK
  • It will install a little bootable OS on your USB device
  • Once the files have been written to the device you will be prompted to reboot ~ do not reboot and instead just Exit the UNetbootin interface
  • After it has completed do not choose to reboot the clean computer simply close the installer
  • Remove the USB and insert it in the sick computer
  • Boot the Sick computer
  • Press F12 and choose to boot from the USB. If that doesn't work, let me know. Booting from USBs is different depending on your BIOS.
  • Follow the prompts
  • A Welcome to xPUD screen will appear

If you get that far, you can exit xPud by using the menu options to Power Off and let me know, then we'll look for that registry item.

etavares

Posted Image

#14 Ian MacK

Ian MacK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2010 - 02:25 PM

Hi Etavares

I followed your instructions for the two downloads etc.
On my USB I have :
syslinux.cfg & vesamenu.c32 on the USB; with two folders :
boot folder containing bg.png, vesamenu.c32 & xpud
opt folder containing media & csim

I used the USB on the sick Netbook and booted with F12 - it went straight to Yukon PXE v6.22 Preboot Execution Environment
(see my boot option results further back in the thread)
After same text as before "Media test failure - check cable", it then loads Windows XP and then goes to Windows 'Welcome' screen with only the User picture option.

I took the User option, it displays the text "Loading your personal settings", then briefly shows the screensaver screen before diplaying text "Logging off" followed rapidly by "Saving your personal settings". So again no progress past Windows Welcome screen.

Let me know what to do next.

Thanks

Ian MacK

#15 etavares

etavares

Bleepin' Remover

• Malware Response Team
  • 15,514 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2010 - 02:57 PM

Actually, as I look over that, try "Last Known Good Configuration" from the options menu.

If not, each motherboard is different, so we'll have to check the BIOS, then find the right menu to use xPud. Try the Last Known Good Configuration option first.

Note, if the LKGC options works, it will restore a registry entry we need to correct. I don't think it will work, as it's likely looking for a file that no longer exists that's tied to userinit.

Do you know how to get into the BIOS setup and select USB as a boot option before the hard drive? If not, let me know and I'll try to find some instructions for the particular netbook.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users