Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help! How to Recover Data!

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 LIOTB

LIOTB

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 PM

Posted 07 October 2010 - 02:31 AM

Good day everyone,

I have an older hitachi external hard drive (USB 2). Yesterday, I turned it on and most of my folders were empty or partially full - just folders and/or little to no files in the folders. All the pictures show the basic/stock photo icon, but when I click on them the picture viewer says they could not be found. However, the strange thing is this, the drive says that space is being occupied, as far as space nothing has changed. The red read/write light keeps going round and round as if thinking and never stops.

What I have done so far:
1. I have tried chkdsk. It does not even get started, the window just disappears.

2. I tried to defrag and later I found out it was a good thing that didn't work.

3. I called hitachi...the IT fellow there didn't know what he was talking about; he insisted, emphatically and with out reservation, that someone had maliciously deleted all my files. Mmmm, I have passwords on windows, and it is my private computer in my home and there is no one else in my house.

4. Checked this and other forums and only found a suggestion to find a free data recovery utility.
-I downloaded and installed, but have not applied "Pandora Recovery" and "Free Data Recovery Software".

Is there anyone who can help me get this data back?

Thank you so much a head of time, for your effort on my behalf and for taking time out of your busy lives to help me.

LIOTB

System:
Windows Vista Home Premium 32Bit (Up to date)
HP Pavilion M300Y (Yale)
4GB RAM
2.8GHz P4 478PIN

Edited by LIOTB, 07 October 2010 - 11:13 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 PM

Posted 07 October 2010 - 05:57 AM

A few questions:

How long has it been, since you last used the external HD?
Was it dropped or damaged in any way?
Have you tried accessing the drive's contents using other computers?

There are very few data recovery programs that are actually free, but you could give the popular ones a try, to see if they are able to detect the data.

I would also suggest making use of a Linux based LiveCD (like Knoppix) to see if you're able to access the contents of your external HD.

My 2 cents for now.
ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#3 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 PM

Posted 07 October 2010 - 01:33 PM

Try Recuva its free
In the beginning there was the command line.

#4 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 AM

Posted 07 October 2010 - 08:11 PM

Have a look at the excellent information in the following link:
DjLizard's data recovery guide
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#5 LIOTB

LIOTB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2010 - 01:44 AM

Dear ReviverSoft,

Thank you for your response.

1. I use the drive every day.
2. It was dropped a short distance some time ago, but never showed any signs of damage.
3. I tried using other computers and had the same outcome.

I have always wanted to try linux and this might give me the chance. I will look into your suggestion.

Thank you very much.

LIOTB

A few questions:

How long has it been, since you last used the external HD?
Was it dropped or damaged in any way?
Have you tried accessing the drive's contents using other computers?

There are very few data recovery programs that are actually free, but you could give the popular ones a try, to see if they are able to detect the data.

I would also suggest making use of a Linux based LiveCD (like Knoppix) to see if you're able to access the contents of your external HD.

My 2 cents for now.

#6 LIOTB

LIOTB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2010 - 01:46 AM

Dear Eyesee,

Thank you for that. I like piriform and had noticed they had this a while back and completely forgot. I will look at it. I still need to purchase another drive and as soon as I do I will try all these options.

Thank you very much,

LIOTB

Try Recuva its free

#7 LIOTB

LIOTB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2010 - 01:54 AM

Dear AustrAlien;

I looked at it. This was very helpful to know what I have gotten myself into.

Thank you,
LIOTB

Have a look at the excellent information in the following link:
DjLizard's data recovery guide

#8 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2010 - 02:54 AM

@LIOTB

It was dropped a short distance some time ago, but never showed any signs of damage.
In that case, it might have suffered internal damage, esp. if the drive was running when this happened.

I have always wanted to try linux and this might give me the chance. I will look into your suggestion.
Always good to have a LiveCD handy, just in case you need to troubleshoot/backup something.

Let us know what happened. :thumbsup:

#9 LIOTB

LIOTB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2010 - 05:03 AM

Reviver Soft,

Some questions if that would be okay?

I found LiveCD Konoppix this is the first time I have actually heard of the term LiveCD. Form what I now understand is that LiveCD is the concept of an OS or other utility that boots from another drive other than the main drive.
Is that correct?

Then I can run linux off of the optical drive and check the external drive in a more raw format. correct? I can see there is a little bit of learning curve before I get to recovering data from this option. However, it might be a way to see what is actually damaged before hand.

I found this site: http://www.knoppix.net/

Are there better options, for my noob status to Linux? (http://www.livecdlist.com/).

Thank you in advance for your efforts and time on my behalf.

LIOTB

#10 LIOTB

LIOTB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2010 - 05:05 AM

Reviver Soft,

Some questions if that would be okay?

I found LiveCD Konoppix this is the first time I have actually heard of the term LiveCD. Form what I now understand is that LiveCD is the concept of an OS or other utility that boots from another drive other than the main drive.
Is that correct?

Then I can run linux off of the optical drive and check the external drive in a more raw format. correct? I can see there is a little bit of learning curve before I get to recovering data from this option. However, it might be a way to see what is actually damaged before hand.

I found this site: http://www.knoppix.net/

Are there better options, for my noob status to Linux? (http://www.livecdlist.com/).

Thank you in advance for your efforts and time on my behalf.

LIOTB

#11 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2010 - 05:59 AM

Yes, you are right about LiveCDs, a.k.a Linux Distros or Rescue discs.

They essentially run off the disc and do not require to be installed, hence the term "Live" CD.

Knoppix was just an option. You could perhaps try Slax or Puppy Linux.

All you need to do is, download the ISO file and burn that onto a disc. Configure (BIOS) the boot option to make your optical drive primary, insert the disc, restart the computer and it should start reading from the disc.

Once you are at the desktop, try accessing the files from the drive.

Good luck!

#12 LIOTB

LIOTB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2010 - 11:37 AM

Dear RiviverSoft, AustrAlien (very clever), Eyesee (also),

You have been a gem. Thank you for all your help and insight. As I said, and is not unique, is that I had lost 15 years of my life and also some of my business. Just gone. Thank you for helping me to get my life back. It really is that important. And that fact that Linux, you, Bleeping, and others make it available for free and give of there time like this, is the right thing. Others want to charge and that is extortion - taking advantage of the sorrows and difficult positions of others.

Take care and warmest regards,
LIOTB

Edited by LIOTB, 12 October 2010 - 11:39 AM.

#13 LIOTB

LIOTB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2010 - 12:05 PM

Dear RiviverSoft, AustrAlien (very clever), Eyesee (also),

You have been a gem. Thank you for all your help and insight. As I said, and is not unique, is that I had lost 15 years of my life and also some of my business. Just gone. Thank you for helping me to get my life back. It really is that important. And that fact that Linux, you, Bleeping, and others make it available for free and give of there time like this, is the right thing. Others want to charge and that is extortion - taking advantage of the sorrows and difficult positions of others.

Take care and warmest regards,
LIOTB

#14 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2010 - 03:50 AM

Most welcome. :thumbsup:

So I'm assuming you were able to recover the data with ease?

Regards,
ReviverSoft

#15 LIOTB

LIOTB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2010 - 05:07 AM

Most welcome. :thumbsup:

So I'm assuming you were able to recover the data with ease?

Regards,
ReviverSoft

Mr. ReviverSoft,

I have not been able to get the new external yet (low on funds), but I will contact you as to how things came out. You have been most helpful.

Regards,
LIOTB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users