Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

news popups, antivirus 2010, stll a rootkit left behind?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 MadAsHell83

MadAsHell83

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 AM

Posted 07 October 2010 - 12:55 AM

Well, im working on and hp laptop, it had all kinds of junk on it as far as malware and spyware and such, plus Antivirus 2010. Ive used the usual arsenal of programs, Malwarebytes, superantispyware,ccleaner, hijackthis, the machine is running xp sp3, and i have installed Avast antivirus home. ive ran mbam, superanti, and avast until it stopped picking things up, ive looked through the hijackthis logs for the out of the ordinary files and such and fixed that, so now im not pickup anything with these scanners, but i still get the popups on ie8, mainly what ive noticed going to oddball news sites, i have downloaded combofix, and i tried to run it and it said it detected rootkit activity and needed to restart the computer. it saved a log at the end but im unsure of how to read it. any help would be appreciated.

thanks,

matt

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadAsHell83

MadAsHell83
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2010 - 01:08 AM

oh yea i also ran something called blacklight rootkit eliminator and it came up empty handed, dunno if that will help anyone or not?

#3 MadAsHell83

MadAsHell83
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2010 - 02:16 PM

no luck again, ran sysinternals rootkit revealer, came up with nothing, does anyone have any ideas ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users