Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

having problems with the new harddrive I upgraded to my laptop

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Mrs Pinnacle

Mrs Pinnacle

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 AM

Posted 06 October 2010 - 06:56 PM

I have an ibm thinkpad R51 laptop and I recently upgraded from a 160 GB harddrive to a 320 GB harddrive because the unmmountable boot error destroyed my 160 GB harddrive. The 320 GB harddrive is a new harddrive that I have bought and I have not yet uploaded any of the backup files onto my new harddrive. My old backup files are saved on my desktop computer.When I turn on my computer I get two messages: "Files not found. Press any key to return" . When I press a key on my keyboard , this message pops up: " int13 42h read error (aX=3127. DL=9F) Block=00000027" followed by a white narrow rectangular screen. The first message to me seems like the standard message you would get when you turn on a computer , containing a harddrive with nothing on it. I don't know how to interpret the second message. Can you provide any clarifications? Also , can I upload all of my backup data, which is 20 GB of data, onto your standard flash drive and then transfer all of the data on my flashdrive onto my new harddrive that is installed in my ibm thinkpad R51 laptop? I also have a 1024 megabytes for the memory of my computer.

Edited by Mrs Pinnacle, 06 October 2010 - 07:02 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Joombaga

Joombaga

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 AM

Posted 06 October 2010 - 07:58 PM

I believe your IDE controller is giving you this error. Were you attempting to boot to a Windows setup disc when you got this error?

#3 Mrs Pinnacle

Mrs Pinnacle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2010 - 08:30 PM

I believe your IDE controller is giving you this error. Were you attempting to boot to a Windows setup disc when you got this error?

What is the IDE controller? Yeah, I did used a boot cd , but that was for my other harddrive. Now that I restarted my computer and removed the boot windows cd, I received an entirely different message:

"intel® boot agent fe v1.2.17. Copyright© 1997-2003. Intel Corporation. intel® boot agent PXE Base Code (BA1217BC). Copyright © 1997-2003. Intel Corporation. PXE-E61: Media Test failure, check cable. PXE-M0F: Exiting Intel Boot Agent. Operating system not found" . Do I need to installed an operating system first even though I have all of my data from my last harddrive backedup to another computer, which I would think would include the operating system from my previous harddrive.

#4 Joombaga

Joombaga

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2010 - 08:39 PM

The IDE controller is the circuit that allows you hard drive and other drives to communicate with the rest of your computer.

Don't worry about that error message; it just means that you computer tried to boot to an Operating System on the network, but this is hardly used.

You will need to install an Operating System first. How did you back up your files? Did you use a program to make the backup?

#5 Mrs Pinnacle

Mrs Pinnacle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2010 - 09:10 PM

The IDE controller is the circuit that allows you hard drive and other drives to communicate with the rest of your computer.

Don't worry about that error message; it just means that you computer tried to boot to an Operating System on the network, but this is hardly used.

You will need to install an Operating System first. How did you back up your files? Did you use a program to make the backup?

I used an external hard drive and transfered that data that was on my old hard drive into the external harddrive and from there transfered the data on the external harddrive onto the D drive on my desktop computer. I don't have the external drive with me because I borrowed it from somebody. Do I need to install an operating system before transfer all of my data onto my new harddrive? Without the external harddrive, How would I transfer all of my data in the d-drive of my desktop onto my new harddrive?

#6 Joombaga

Joombaga

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2010 - 09:19 PM

You will need to install the Operating System on the new hard-drive before you transfer the information. You could either use an external drive to transfer the information, or connect your "D Drive" to the computer with the new hard drive after the operating system is installed.

If you have never installed an operating system before, I'd suggest letting an expert handle the installation of the operating system, as well as the data transfer, to minimize the chance of lost information. Installing an operating system is a big job.

Find a local computer shop. Try to stay with the small time shops; avoid places like Best Buy (the Geek Squad).

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,713 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 AM

Posted 06 October 2010 - 09:34 PM

With proper instructions installing a Windows operating system isn't that big of a deal. And transferring data from one computer to another can be accomplished several different ways, and isn't that big of a deal either.

What operating system are you going to be using if you do this installation?

Edited by dc3, 06 October 2010 - 09:34 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 Mrs Pinnacle

Mrs Pinnacle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2010 - 09:48 PM

With proper instructions installing a Windows operating system isn't that big of a deal. And transferring data from one computer to another can be accomplished several different ways, and isn't that big of a deal either.

What operating system are you going to be using if you do this installation?

Windows xp because thats what was on my last harddrive . Does it matteR if I decided to used a different operating system?

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,713 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 AM

Posted 06 October 2010 - 09:56 PM

You can use what ever operating system that you wish to. I just needed to know so that I could point you toward a web site that has a good tutorial for installing Windows XP.

Take a look at this site.

Before you start the installation you might wish to copy these instructions and print them out so that you have a reference to work from when you make the installation.

Edited by dc3, 06 October 2010 - 09:58 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#10 Ramchu

Ramchu

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 AM

Posted 07 October 2010 - 06:58 AM

Just a thought
While you are in the process of installing an operating system on to a new Hard Drive
you could actually dual boot ( install 2 operating systems on to the hard dive )

you can install Windows XP and then download and use EaseUS to shrink the windows partition - then install another operating system on to the free space remaining on the hard drive -- ( I would recommend a Linux OS --- Ubuntu, PCLinuxOS, ....ect )

If you do decide to try a Linux OS - You can download the OS and burn it to a Disc as an ISO ( Live CD) that can be run on your computer
to try it out without installing it - until you are ready to install.

To burn the downloaded OS to a Disc as an ISO I would recommend using InfraRecorder ( its FREE to download and use )

Edited by Ramchu, 07 October 2010 - 07:12 AM.

#11 Mrs Pinnacle

Mrs Pinnacle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2010 - 07:49 AM

I've successfully installed my new hard drive and my new operating system. How would I transfer all of my backup datat that is on the hard drive of my desktop onto my newly installed hard drve? Could I used a flash drive and transfer all of my data incrementally or shall I burned all of my 20gb data on a backup disc cd?

Edited by Mrs Pinnacle, 07 October 2010 - 07:49 AM.

#12 Ramchu

Ramchu

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 AM

Posted 07 October 2010 - 11:08 AM

Use a flash drive
If you would save all of that information to CD you would have to burn at least 29 CD's -- that is if you really have 20gig of stored information
I would recommend purchasing an external USB Hard Drive then you can use it on both the LapTop and the DeskTop computers.

Here's one: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...mp;Sku=W10-8068

#13 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 PM

Posted 07 October 2010 - 11:10 AM

How would I transfer all of my data in the d-drive of my desktop onto my new harddrive?

there are a couple ways / possibility to transfer all of you data...
~ if you new hardrive is SATA and your desktop mainboard have SATA controller...you could buy a SATA Data Cable (if you dont have it) and maybe SATA power cable (if your power supply doesnt provide/have it)...make sure on BIOS setup your desktop hardrive is first boot priority...new hardrive will have a new drive letter (E / F / G / or else)...just copy paste it

~ if you new hardrive is SATA and your dekstop mainboard doesnt have SATA controller...you could buy a HDD 2.5" SATA enclosure for your new hardrive...and insert your new hardrive to enclosure and plug it to your computer via USB cable...its just like external hardrive but the hardrive is your new hardrive...you just but a enclosure/case to make your hardrive to external hardrive...

~if your new hardrive is 2.5" ATA...buy a HDD 2.5" ATA Enclosure...dont bother to try plug it to desktop mainboard...

~you could burn it to CD...but its wasting time and money to buy 28-30 blank cd to copy your 20gb data (1cd = 700mb)...

~you could burn it to DVD...this much better than copy it to cd...you just need 4-5 blank DVD (1 DVD = 4,7gb)

~if you have a flash drive...this is the cheapest ways...no extra money to copy all your your data...

almost forgot...
if your laptop and computer desktop is in 1 network / LAN your could share your drive D: (computer) desktop...and try not to tick/check "Allow Network Users To Change My File" option...
just to make you D: data is safe...

Edited by abauw, 07 October 2010 - 11:17 AM.

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#14 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 AM

Posted 07 October 2010 - 05:01 PM

I've successfully installed my new hard drive and my new operating system. How would I transfer all of my backup datat that is on the hard drive of my desktop onto my newly installed hard drve? Could I used a flash drive and transfer all of my data incrementally or shall I burned all of my 20gb data on a backup disc cd?

hi ,may i as what type of data it is ,is it music and movies and such .
i would use a usb flash drive ,get at least a 8gig ,and transfer the file in increments of each type

because the unmmountable boot error destroyed my 160 GB harddrive

sounds to me like the harddrive was not dead ,just needed to have windows reinstalled on it

Edited by caperjac, 07 October 2010 - 05:11 PM.

My answers are my opinion only,usually

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users