Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blue Screen - Windows XP Cannot reboot in safe mode

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Trevor25

Trevor25

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 PM

Posted 06 October 2010 - 05:36 PM

Hello,
I hope someone can please help me. I got the rogue antivirus SmartSecurity virus the other day and tried to remove it with Malware Antibytes & spybot search and destroy but it still wouldn't remove it.. tried this twice and still nothing. then today I while trying to reboot after trying Malware Antibytes the system froze and i turned off the PC but when i turned it back on I got a blue screen - and keep getting it.. I cannot reboot in safe mode or The last known configuration that worked Successfully" and am getting the following error code Ox000000624(Ox00190203, Ox827CD390, OxC0000102, Ox0000000) it's saying unistall antivirus or defragmentor and to run CHKDSK /F but i can't get past the blue screen in any mode to do any of this.

The computer make is a Dell 4550. SP3. I don't have the original xp disc that came with the pc... I'm at my wits end - have a lot of photos on the pc and afraid i'll lose everything.. please help as i know nothing about computers and need a walk through step by step if this can be fixed.

Thanks in advance for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 PM

Posted 06 October 2010 - 05:58 PM

Do you have access to another computer, and if so is it a Desktop?

#3 Trevor25

Trevor25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2010 - 06:08 PM

Do you have access to another computer, and if so is it a Desktop?

hi, thanks for coming back to me... yes my sister has a laptop

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2010 - 06:09 PM

What country do you live in?

#5 Trevor25

Trevor25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2010 - 06:10 PM

Ireland

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2010 - 06:12 PM

I would go to your local computer store and purchase an external hard drive enclosure and put your hard drive inside it and then connect it to your sisters laptop and back up any data that you deem important to it.

THe external enclosure should come with instructions on how to install the hard drive. You will need one that can accommodate a 3.5" Internal Hard Drive and USB/Firewire.

#7 Trevor25

Trevor25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2010 - 06:16 PM

ok i will try that - i have an external hardrive aswell - but i suppose this isn't the same? also does this mean my pc is in serious trouble or risk? ie. can it be fixed?

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2010 - 06:20 PM

It can be fixed, but your data should be backed up first. Is your data already on the external drive?

#9 Trevor25

Trevor25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2010 - 06:22 PM

oh PHEW! i'm worried sick about it- no, not all of it - but some of it is. will i need to get the enclosure?

#10 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2010 - 06:24 PM

Yes you will, it will make you get all your files off.

#11 Trevor25

Trevor25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2010 - 06:30 PM

oh ok - i will do that in the morning... do you know if these enclosures are normally expensive? i know it probably depends on the store but maybe you have a rough idea? also is it difficult to do this? or is it a case of installing the hard drive into the enclosure and then installing it onto the laptop? sorry for all the questions.. just never came across this and really worried now

#12 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2010 - 07:21 PM

I am in the US so I wouldnt know the market over there. Here is a rough idea: External 3.5" Hard Drive Enclosures.

#13 Trevor25

Trevor25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2010 - 07:39 AM

Hi, I got enclosure today - what will i do once i have copied my files over?

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,895 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 PM

Posted 07 October 2010 - 09:34 AM

Removal Guide, http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-remo...-smart-security.

Louis

#15 Trevor25

Trevor25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2010 - 10:00 AM

Hi Louis,
thanks for that - this is what i was doing before the pc crashed.. i had taken the instruction from here and followed it.. i had ran runkill and also the malware antibytes but when it came to downloading the Hostsperm.bat file it wouldn't seem to let me, nor did it save to my desktop. i did however download the Windows XP HOSTS File Download Link file but that was as far as i got.

I ran the Malware bytes twice - the first time it say i had 979 infections.. and removed them all.. but the second time i ran it it said i had 800 infections - so i removed all these too.

Once i couldn't download or save the hostsperm.bat file i seemed to get confused as to what i was doing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users