Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

GeForce FX 5200 wont install properly after reformat

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 fadingout

fadingout

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 PM

Posted 06 October 2010 - 05:08 PM

I have a Dell Dimension 4600 computer which i recently reformatted after a virus attack.

It runs on Windows XP and has recognised the display adapter as Nvidia GeForce FX5200. But after installing the recommended drivers for it and rebooting nothing is displayed after it boots. A pointer appears with the hourglass as it loads up but then it disappears and the monitor goes into standby. Sometimes strange colours and horizontal lines appear.

I looked this up and one answer was that my graphics card has failed and I could get the computer to boot up properly by disabling the fx5200 in safe mode which I did. It worked but without the graphics card installed properly I can't play the games I want to play on my computer. I can watch videos but not play games.

But in my house there is another Dell Dimension 4600 which also had to be reformatted due to a virus and the same problem is there. Could it be a coincidence that both of the graphics cards in these computers have failed or is it a problem with finding the correct drivers?

I have looked at the owners manual of the computer and it mentions nothing about an Nvidia GeForce FX5200 but says I have an Integrated Intel Extreme Graphics controller. Is my computer wrongly identifying the hardware?

Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by fadingout, 06 October 2010 - 05:13 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MidwestTech

MidwestTech

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 AM

Posted 06 October 2010 - 05:23 PM

Hi. You didn't mention this in your post but I was curious whether this nVidia card was used successfully in your PC before the virus-prompted reformat?

Thanks,
Todd

#3 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2010 - 05:33 PM

One other thing I would like to ask is, after formatting did you install all system drivers. Either from a disk you may have gotten with the machine or from the Dell Support site.

#4 fadingout

fadingout
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2010 - 06:02 PM

Thanks for the replies.
MidwestTech: Yes it was functioning perfectly before the reformat on both computers. So I don't think its because of failure of the card but I may be wrong.

ThunderZ: I have reformatted this computer before without any need for searching for the drivers. Windows update did it all for me.

With the computers we have had in the past there are a lot of driver cds and things like that lying around. So I have tried using all of the CDs that have display drivers on them to no success. But I never thought of trying the dell website which I really should have. Im downloading a new driver now and I'll post back shortly with the results.

Thanks

#5 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2010 - 06:11 PM

But I never thought of trying the dell website which I really should have. Im downloading a new driver now and I'll post back shortly with the results.

Thanks

In the case of off the shelf PCs it is usually recommended to get the drivers from the OEM site.

Many here, myself included, prefer this method.

Just an FYI. When you update drivers through Device Manager it only checks the MS update site. It does not search the entire Web as some may think. MS, has for what ever reason at times seen fit to alter the coding of the drivers. I have at times seen this cause major problems. Especially when it comes to their video drivers.

The OEM site of the machine or of the mobo, add-on hardware is, IMO, always the preferred source for drivers.

Let us know what happens and we will go from there.

#6 fadingout

fadingout
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2010 - 06:22 PM

OK I tried installing the dell driver for the nvidia geforce fx5200 for the dell dimension 4600 from their website. So it was very specific to exactly the set up i have.

After resetting the computer failed to boot up again. This time no lines or anything appeared but the monitor simply went to standby. I left it for a few minutes and there was nothing not a sound coming from the speakers to suggest the computer had even booted up.

I have no idea what I can do next really. Is it possible that the graphics card suddenly failed on both computers?

#7 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2010 - 06:25 PM

Going to have a look on the Dell site at your PC.

I`ll be back.

Can you please provide the "Service Tag" number?

Edited by ThunderZ, 06 October 2010 - 06:27 PM.

#8 fadingout

fadingout
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2010 - 06:34 PM

OK thanks. the number is: 3s1p81j.

#9 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2010 - 06:36 PM

Got it. Thanks.

I`m off to the Dell site.

#10 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2010 - 06:45 PM

Got the machine pulled up in another tab.

I need to clarify for myself a couple of things.

The card we are dealing with is in a add-on slot position? Are there two VGA, blue in color, connectors on the backside of the tower? One will be lower, running horizontaly and in a PCI add-on slot. The other is probably vertical and up in the area of the rest of the I\O= in\out ports.

#11 fadingout

fadingout
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2010 - 04:11 AM

I honestly don't quite understand that :thumbsup:

So i found a picture which shows a tower thats identical to the one I have.

http://reviews.cnet.com/sc/30529709-2-440-front+back-2.gif

Edited by fadingout, 07 October 2010 - 04:12 AM.

#12 fadingout

fadingout
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2010 - 04:46 AM

OK i found the dell resources CD which contained the drivers for the graphics card. But after rebooting following the install the same problem occurred again.

Does this mean there actually is something wrong with the hardware itself since i've tried several drivers without success?

#13 Ramchu

Ramchu

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 AM

Posted 07 October 2010 - 05:14 AM

Does this computer also have onboard graphics ?

If it does you may have to go into the bios and set it to use the add on card - if that option is not
available in the bios, you may have to go into the device manager and tell windows to not use the onboard
graphics ( disable - do not use this device )

just my 2 cent's

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic346617.html

Edited by Ramchu, 07 October 2010 - 05:29 AM.

#14 fadingout

fadingout
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2010 - 06:49 AM

I don't think it does. I went into the bios and the only options for video controller were AGP or AUTO. This is the graphics card that came with the computer originally, I haven't changed any of the hardware.

#15 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2010 - 07:14 AM

@ Ramchu. A very good thought. Basically what I was trying to get at in asking if there were 2 blue female VGA connectors on the rear.

Thanks for the pic fadingout. But it is not showing me what I was hoping to see. According to the specs on your tower, some came with a built in graphics card. As suggested by Ramchu, we can have a look in the BIOS. Either tapping the F1 or F12 after starting the PC should get you there. Then looking for anything referencing display. May be something like first display device. The selection you would want to choose is either listed as VGA or possibly PCI.

Edit. Just saw your reply. What were the BIOS set to. My thought is it should have been VGA.

The only thing is if that were set wrong I do`t think you would be getting any signal, display on the monitor(s) at all.

If it were not for you experiencing the same problem on 2 different towers with the same video card at the same time I would say you needed a new card.

If you boot into safe mode, tapping F8 after the BIOS screen but before the Windows start up screen, then selecting safe mode. Do you get a display on your monitor?

Since we are dealing with two different towers, we are using two different monitors, correct?

Edited by ThunderZ, 07 October 2010 - 07:16 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users