Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Find files

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Walt_D

Walt_D

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 AM

Posted 06 October 2010 - 04:45 PM

Have read an aticle "How to Repair Corrupt or Damaged Windows System Files with System File Checker".
Since I don't have a startup disk I changed the registry HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\softeare\Microsoft\Setup SourcePath from D:\ to C:\ .
The instructions also required that I copy the i386 file to the root directory. This information comes from usama, Oct. 2006.
My problem was in finding the i386 file. Using a search program there were quite a few files with that name, the biggest being in the windows\drivers\cache. All the others only had a few files, mostly dll fliles. Some were backup files too.
In any event, when I tried the system checker run I still got the message I needed the installation disk.
The idea for this whole thing comes from http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/ho...ile-checker.htm.

thanks to anyone who can help.

Walt in Indiana

I've attached a jpg showing all the i386 files on my computer.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 AM

Posted 06 October 2010 - 05:19 PM

The i386 is a folder that contains all the files that are required to have windows run. It contains drivers and other files. This will be located on your XP Installation CD.

#3 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,613 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 AM

Posted 06 October 2010 - 08:48 PM

Since I don't have a startup disk I changed the registry HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\softeare\Microsoft\Setup SourcePath from D:\ to C:\ .

This method will not necessarily work as well, as when using Windows CD, because not always ALL system files are backed up on your hard drive. Also, backed up files may be corrupted as well.
Can you borrow Windows XP CD from someone?

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#4 Walt_D

Walt_D
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 AM

Posted 06 October 2010 - 09:30 PM

Problem is, no original disk and don't know of anyone that I can borrrow from. Computer was sold without a disk, but guess I could tell seller I need to borrow disk.

Walt

#5 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,613 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 AM

Posted 06 October 2010 - 09:34 PM

Newer Windows version (Vista and 7), keep multiple backups of system files.
Unfortunately, XP wasn't that good yet...

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users