Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 download query

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 silver threads

silver threads

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 PM

Posted 06 October 2010 - 04:18 PM

Just moved up from XP to a new laptop with Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit. I am not familiar with this new operating system, but believed I would be able to download Open Office without any problem. The download was successful, but it does not appear to be installed and it remains in the temporary download file. I am not sure what I need to do to rectify this. On completion of the download, a message appeared asking if I wanted the program to change the computer programs. I have not acted on this yet. Is this the choice I need to select in order to install this download?

Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you

Edited by hamluis, 08 October 2010 - 03:25 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Business Applications ~ Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 GMmasterking

GMmasterking

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 AM

Posted 06 October 2010 - 04:45 PM

You must run the setup as Administrator and https://ssl-proxy-updated.herokuapp.com/9353c243e3e4d239965b67a304ddb31aa2ad143d/687474703a2f2f696d673337352e696d616765736861636b2e75732f696d673337352f323832342f636f6e746578746d656e752e6a7067/[/img] and accept everything that user account control ask you

Posted Image
Posted Image

But you have to be sure that the app that you are trying to install is safe - It is recommended to be downloaded from the original website.
Posted Image

#3 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,770 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 PM

Posted 06 October 2010 - 08:51 PM

The download was successful, but it does not appear to be installed

In every Windows version, download is just that.
You need to install downloaded program by doubleclicking on downloaded file.

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#4 silver threads

silver threads
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 PM

Posted 07 October 2010 - 05:27 AM

Thank you GMmasterking and Broni for your help. I will follow your advice as Administrator, something I did not realise was necessary as I am the only user of the computer, I suppose it is intended as an additional security measure to prevent unauthorised progs being installed. I still use XP on a netbook and I am familiar with it but the Win 7 system is a very different prospect and as far as I can judge is Vista reborn (a bit bloated but possibly an improvement).

I downloaded Open Office from the Oracle website which I hope is OK but will check again to see if there is another one dedicated to Open Office before I install the program.

Again, many thanks.

#5 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 PM

Posted 07 October 2010 - 08:39 AM

Your choice of site to download from is fine and the preferred source. No need to look else where.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users