Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Active Desktop and non IE browsers not working after virus removal

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Joegats916

Joegats916

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 PM

Posted 06 October 2010 - 03:52 PM

Okay so one of my friends cleared a virus from our computer using Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and the virus seems to be gone. However, the virus seems to have had a lasting side effect. At first when I started the computer, it gave me that active desktop white screen. I clicked on restore desktop but it said something about a script not working. (i'm sorry I didn't write it down.) I rebooted the computer and the white screen was gone. In it's place my old desktop. Unfortunately now, even though it says Active desktop is not active, all my options for changing my desktop are gray (the different background images I can use) and the only browser that works is IE. The other browsers like Firefox or Chrome just hang on loadup and never display a website. They don't even show a not able to display website error. I was told it might be a registry problem so i ran ccleaner and it didn't help. This is beyond my basic level of experience and I hope someone out there has had this problem and overcome it.

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,704 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 PM

Posted 14 October 2010 - 02:49 AM

Hello.

Sorry for the delay.

To diagnose your issue we need to get a look at some log files. This requires a more in-depth examination than can be performed in this forum. Please read the information in this guide, and follow all the steps beginning with step 6. After you have followed the steps in that guide, I would like you to start a new thread HERE and include a link to this thread.

It would be helpful if you post a note here once you have completed the steps in the guide and have started your topic in malware removal. Good luck and be patient. The MRT is very busy, so it could be a little while before you receive a reply. But rest assured, help is on the way!

~Blade

Edited by Blade Zephon, 14 October 2010 - 02:51 AM.

Posted Image

If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook
Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users