Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Net Framework Advice Needed

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Richardf77

Richardf77

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 PM

Posted 06 October 2010 - 12:00 PM

Hello Newbie here.

I need some advice and help regarding the windows.net framework software needed to run various software on a PC. I have recently been trying to get a particular piece of software to work on my machine after it apparently stopped working, having worked fine when i first purchased it. I realised (after seeking help on a forum related to the software in question), that the problem was the .net framework software or rather the lack of it. The problem appears to be that following a system reset (reinstall of OS) about 6 months ago i had lost all .net framework updates and newer versions installed since the PC was purchased. This amounts to all versions and updates after 1.1. It appears that the software i am trying to use needs a later version.

I set about finding and installing later versions and successfully installed version 2.0, however on running Microsoft update no updates for this version came to light as i expected and any updated that did come up would not work. i then set about incrementally updating the .net framework software on my PC from 2.0 SP2 through to 3.5 and its service packs. Firstly 3.0 would not install, citing a 'Windows Communication Foundation' error. I then tried going back to v2.0 and installing its service packs. This also failed (no reason given in error log). I do not know what to do next. I see that there is a version 4 and 4.5 of the .net framework, but i am not sure if this will help if i haven't got the previous versions. It would appear that i need all the service packs and updates for a particular version before in can install the next. seeing as many of these appear to no longer be available i do not know how i can fix this problem. Can anyone help me please?

FYI I run a Windows XP Home sp3 desktop and the software in question is Ulead Video Studio SE DVD. Please ask if you need any more info in order to help better.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 PM

Posted 06 October 2010 - 12:19 PM

I've not known updates to be denied, other than on systems determined not to have legal installs of XP.

That goes for both installs of NET Framework versions (optional) and the security updates for same (critical).

System manufacturer and model?

I would uninstall any version of NET Framework you have installed (the critical updates will go away also)...then I would just install NET Framework 3.5, SP1 on the system.

Louis

#3 Gabrial

Gabrial

• Members
  • 468 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2010 - 03:02 PM

.Net Framework 4.0 was final in April, is there a reason not to install it as well?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2010 - 04:08 PM

No reason that I know of, just as there is no reason to install it :thumbsup:.

Seriously (it's hard sometimes), I know that 3.5, SP1 takes care of all the apps that I use that might employ NET Framework and I'm the guy who only updates drivers when the old ones don't work :flowers:.

That's probably the same reasoning employed by users who still have versions 2.0 and 1.0/1.1 on their systems.

I think Win 7 may have 4.0 installed, not sure...no, Win 7 comes with 3.5.

Summary info on NET Framework at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.NET_Framework.

Louis

#5 Richardf77

Richardf77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 PM

Posted 06 October 2010 - 06:03 PM

Thanks for replies. Have uninstalled .net framework updates and versions i had installed and tried to install version 3.5 sp1 as recomended. No luck. refused to install via microsoft update.

PC details: Compaq Presario (purchased 2006)

Hope this helps

PS, If i cant get 3.5 sp1 to work could i jump straight to 4.0?

Edited by Richardf77, 06 October 2010 - 06:05 PM.

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 PM

Posted 06 October 2010 - 06:04 PM

.NET Framework is required by ATI Driver Installs if you plan on using Catalyst Control Center.

#7 Joombaga

Joombaga

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2010 - 06:58 PM

Have you tried the stand-alone installer for 3.5?

Also, Aaron Stebner made a .NET Framework cleanup tool. It may help you:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2...28/8904493.aspx

His blog has many other tips on .NET Framework installation as well.

Edited by Joombaga, 06 October 2010 - 06:59 PM.

#8 Gabrial

Gabrial

• Members
  • 468 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2010 - 10:26 PM

If 3.5 incorporates all the previous versions, why do I get all prior updates available when I go to Windows Update site? Seems odd to me that it wouldn't just install 3.5 if it included all the rest of them.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2010 - 08:18 AM

3.5, SP1 includes elements of Framework 2.0, 3.0, and 3.5...as explained in the detail provided by Microsoft.

Consequently...after installing 3.5, SP1...a user must install the critical updates pertaining to those now-installed components. Critical updates pertain to any aspect of Windows and the newly installed components are now part of XP.

Louis

#10 Gabrial

Gabrial

• Members
  • 468 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2010 - 10:14 PM

So does it have just some component dependencies that it installs or does it install the complete .NET Framework for each of the prior versions?

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2010 - 07:57 AM

MS isn't clear, but MS says "components" and there seems to be little reference by MS to any version being cumulative. I've read that Version 2.0 made 1.0 and 1.1 obsolete...but nothing more concrete than that.

I tend to rely on my trial-and-error experiments with MS.NET. At one point, I had each version installed up to 3.0...when 3.5, SP1 came forth, I decided that my previous approach was silly and uninstalled all previous versions and installed 3.5, SP1.

I only had 2 reasons for installing any version...my ATI driver download and using nLite. Both continued to work flawlessly after I removed the earlier versions and installed 3.5, SP1.

I just did a clean install yesterday on one of my systems and decided to install Version 4.0, but I haven't put the aforementioned programs back on yet to determine if 4.0 is going to remain on.

Louis

#12 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 PM

Posted 09 October 2010 - 12:45 PM

From the release notes of ATI Driver that includes Catalyst Control Center:

Caution: The ATI Catalyst™ Control Center requires that the Microsoft .NET Framework SP1 be installed for Windows XP and Vista. Without .NET SP1 installed, the ATI Catalyst™ Control Center will not launch properly and the user will see an error message.

https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/674/9206/0/www2...lease_notes.pdf

So if you do not install Catalyst Control Center you will not need .NET Framework. If you decide to install it, then you will get a dependency error and the driver will not install until you have .NET Framework installed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users