Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Planning on a future first build

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 wiking63

wiking63

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 PM

Posted 06 October 2010 - 08:29 AM

Planning to do a first actual ground up build (my current HP has more replaced upgraded components than has original, but is getting tired). Would appreciate any suggestions or comments. Thanks ahead of time. Not a big gamer, but want speed and a very noticable difference from my current AMD Athlon 64 2.19GHz computer. Also using a 28" monitor by the way.
Current thoughts on components:
case
motherboard
processor/cooler

OR this processor
processor
cooler
thermal grease
memory
burner
vid card - already have this card NIB
power
hard drive

Have other components that I will use from present computer (ex:wireless, sound card, keyboard, mouse, etc) that are up to date. Missing anything? Thanks

Edited by wiking63, 06 October 2010 - 08:30 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RainbowSix

RainbowSix

• Members
  • 604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 PM

Posted 06 October 2010 - 08:37 AM

I would go with the quad-core processor. You're not likely to notice a difference between 4-core and 6-core for at least a few years. Even now, there are not many applications which use four cores.
That CPU heatsink comes with its own thermal compound. I understand if you want AS5 but just letting you know.
That video card is going to bottleneck video-intensive applications but should be just fine for a non-gamer.
For the case, you may want to get the Cooler Master Cosmos. It has better cooling and looks better in my opinion.

Everything else looks fine to me.
[ Antec 1200 v3 | Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 rev. 3.1 | AMD Phenom II x6 1090T (overclocked to 4GHz) | Corsair XMS3 4x4GB DDR3 1600 | COOLER MASTER Silent Pro 600W & Visiontek Juice Box 450W | SAMSUNG 470 Series 64GB SSD | WD Caviar Black 640GB & Samsung Spinpoint 2TB HDD | 2x XFX Radeon HD 5770 in Crossfire | SAMSUNG 22X DVD±RW | Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit]

CompTIA A+ certified
Stringfellow Electronics

#3 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 PM

Posted 06 October 2010 - 09:30 PM

That's a decent build and I agree with RainbowSix in suggesting the Cosmos. You may be better served by using a quad core CPU over a six core unless you do number crunching or rendering. There are few programs that can use six cores. You also don't need thermal compound since it should come pre-applied to the cooler itself. You can also switch your RAM from what you've got over to Mushkin Enhanced Silverline 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 and save money. The RAM you chose is faster, but in practice, the difference in real-world performance is minor, probably one or two frames per second. Your performance will be limited more by your graphics card, but that can be updated later. You also need an operating system, such as Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. You cannot reuse an old copy of Windows unless it is a full, retail, boxed copy, due to license restrictions, however, there is nothing technical preventing you from doing so, only a legal one.

Edited by DJBPace07, 06 October 2010 - 09:31 PM.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users