Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No internet access on XP. ipconfig is blank

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 johnny12345

johnny12345

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 PM

Posted 06 October 2010 - 02:18 AM

I've searched high and low for an answer but can't figure it out. I've installed XP on 2 different computers but they simply refuse to connect to my network with the only thing showing up in Network places being my 1394 Firewire adaptor and ipconfig is blank when I try it. I can ping myself just fine though and the computers connect to the network just fine when running Ubuntu. Help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Clifford Tan

Clifford Tan

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 AM

Posted 06 October 2010 - 03:55 AM

Hi Johnny,

If 1394 Firewire adapter is the only connection that shows up in the Network Places, then this maybe an indication of the following:

1. bad NIC(network interface card)
2. driver not install properly
3. corrupted driver files.
4. NIC does not exist.

Can you go to Start->Settings-Control Panel- System->System properties->Hardware tab. Then in the Hardware tab, click the device manager. Check your Network Adapters to see if your NIC driver shows up here. If the NIC driver does not show up here, then open up your computer and reseat the NIC card. When windows started loading up, it should automatically detect the new device and prompt you for the driver's disc. If windows does not detect the device, try remove the NIC card and put it into a different pci slot and repeat the process.

To get all computers connected to your network, the NIC connection must exist in your Network Places. Try the above and let me know how you get on.

Edited by Clifford Tan, 06 October 2010 - 03:58 AM.

~ Clifford The IT Guy ~
PC Optimization Secrets

#3 johnny12345

johnny12345
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 PM

Posted 07 October 2010 - 01:24 AM

Thanks for the help man. Turns out I just needed to install some drivers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users