Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MS Office files will not open over network

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mrsawyer

mrsawyer

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 PM

Posted 06 October 2010 - 12:49 AM

There is one computer in our peer-to-peer Windows network that will not open MS Office files that are stored on shared network drives on other computers. PDFs open just fine, but not MS Office docs. It displays a message that the file could not be found even though I can see and double-click the file. I can right-click and copy a networked file, paste it anywhere on the the local computer and from there it opens fine. It is a Dell Vostro, running Windows 7 (Home Edition). There is another one identical to it that works just fine on the network. I am using MS Office 2007 and MS Office 2003 on the this machine. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling MS Office to no avail. Any ideas on this issue?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Joombaga

Joombaga

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 PM

Posted 06 October 2010 - 07:50 PM

You've tried both Office 2003 and 2007?

Have you tried mounting the network drive and giving it a drive letter?

#3 mrsawyer

mrsawyer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 PM

Posted 06 October 2010 - 10:08 PM

Yes, they are mapped drives (with drive letters). The problem appears whether the drives are mapped or not.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users