Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sharing Ports on Two Different Computers

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Michael Priester

Michael Priester

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 05 October 2010 - 10:50 PM

Hi All:

I have two computers - one running windows 7 Ultimate 64bit and the other running Windows Vista Ultimate 32bit - that I want to be able to play on line games at the same time. We mainly play Ghost Recon and Battlefield 1942, and are connected via a wireless network using a Belkin Play Wireless Router F7D4302. I can setup one computer in the DMZ and even forward the ports - but only to ONE COMPUTER at a time. I need to be able to allow BOTH computers access to the ports so that they can BOTH play the same game online at the same time.

So far, I haven't been able to find much of anything on this topic, and it's getting pretty frustrating. I can't believe that simple networking included in the Windows operating system doesn't take into account the user's desire to have one than one computer be able to play an online game at the same time...ny ideas and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely;
Michael

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 davidanders

davidanders

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 AM

Posted 07 October 2010 - 05:05 PM

Ports on one router can be forwarded to one computer.
http://portforward.com
David Anders
The Computer Guy, Seattle
My Allexperts Stats

#3 Michael Priester

Michael Priester
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2010 - 11:04 PM

davidanders:

Thanks, but no joy there...My router is not listed at the PortForward site, so till no answers...

#4 NpaMA

NpaMA

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2010 - 09:31 PM

Port forwarding points incoming connections to the correct PC, having the same ports forwarded to 2 PC would kinda be defeating the purpose....

Its not possible to do, unless you have a commercial grade router with atleast 2 IPs.

Edited by NpaMA, 09 October 2010 - 09:32 PM.

#5 Michael Priester

Michael Priester
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2010 - 10:21 PM

So you are saying that it is imapossible to have two different computers on a wired/wireless network/router that can play the same game requiring the same ports on the Internet at the exact same time? What's the point of the network then if you can "share" the ports/Internet connection required by an application?

#6 NpaMA

NpaMA

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2010 - 10:31 PM

It can't be the same ports. You can "have two different computers on a network/router" and play the same game. Most likely its that you can't host from two.

Port forwarding tells incoming traffic where to go.

So if you have PC one on port 5730, and PC two tries to use 5730, the router doesn't know if it should send the connection to PC 1 or 2.

But you may be able to set them up(in the GAME, not the pc, not the router) to use an alternate port.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users